1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not About Much For a good Few weeks from now

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, May 4, 2016.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, if diabetes has affected your feet, the problem is you won't feel the pain, not the other way around. Glad it wasn't anything more serious though.

Early signs of unmanaged type 2 diabetes vary, but if you're eating a fried breakfast every day and losing weight, go get checked (personal experience). I didn't notice any other symptoms (I didn't go and get checked, I was diagnosed by accident).

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My late step father suffered with that. he didn't feel blisters etc on his feet. To cut a long story short, he ended up as a double amputee below each knee.

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

So yesterday when I was in agony after stubbing my big toe the night before was a bod good thing then? I certainly felt it! I could barely walk all day!

4. LesleySM

Ummm...bank are suddenly asking if we could discuss what help they can provide to improve my bank account. As i say in another few months a lot of debts will be paid off anyway so my account should improve but I am getting some fairly heavy hints about maybe a consolidation loan, which will save me money so i am thinking of going for it after all if they say no then I am no worse off and will just go on with reducing my debts at a rough estimate I am going to be much better off in the next few months as I say my debts are now like dominoes and they are starting to topple. Indeed if I took the loan out i would still in a few months be able to pay extra on it every month so things are getting better

And I have just spent the evening looking at urns. I think I have to bring Dave home because if i don't and then regret it, it is not like I can get his ashes back is it? If I find having them here freaks me out then it will make me choose whatever!

Co-Op urns are massively expensive but Amazon are cheaper. Remember Dave always said he would prefer me to leave his "shell" out for the bin men i have found something really nice now just need to work out if it big enough if not I have seen something equally nice for not much more that says suitable for ashes from up to 200lbs so that's okay Dave weighed 12 stone at his best and a lot less when he died

I'd like to have some ashes made into a ring though. One that looks like a wedding ring on the following grounds:
    1. It's the only way i would get a ring off him
    2. Men will hit on women drinking alone so i'd like to imagine some chat up artist saying "Oh are you married?"
    And being able to reply "Nope never married. The ring? Contains the ashes of the last guy who chatted me up in bar"

At which point if as Dave's mum believes he's in Heaven looking down on me he'd be going "THAT'S MY LESLEY!!"

5. AndyMulhearn

AndyMulhearn Well-Known Member

I'm in two minds about consolidation loans so will be interested to see what others say. My concerns about them are that you have fixed term and payment which may be less but you will have no flexibility in it - you have to make that payment - so while you may pay less, you will be more constrained. I'd also worry about their reasons for doing it now. if it helps you now, why not offer it when you were in a worse position and needed it more? I'm not as trusting as I was about this kind of stuff so I'd view this with deep suspicion.

Having said that, the idea of the ring is genius. Love it :)

Zou likes this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You know that woman who sits in a corner, either doing the crossword or reading her kindle, whist having a nice glass of bitter or glass of wine? Well, that's me. I can't imagine being you, Lesley. It's absolutely beyond my comprehension!

7. LesleySM

No crossword and lager rather than bitter or wine and that IS me!

Catriona likes this.
  8. LesleySM

Because banks never lend you money when you really need it- it goes like this

When I started this job I called my bank on the 15th of the month to tell them I needed to change to payment date for the loan I had with them because my pay date was now 3 days later than before. They said it was a bit too late to change it for that month (9 days before the original date it would come out?) but as the 27th (my new pay date) was bank holiday Monday that month I was getting paid on the 24th (old pay date) anyway so they promised they would do it before then....and of course come September they still took the loan out on the old date but luckily I had just had some money go in so three times the next month I phoned them to check it would go through they even compensated me for September. Come October, I think you can guess what happened? I got compensated for that as well.

They had originally provisionally agreed a consolidation loan back in August but were not going to give me one until I passed my probation in the new job

I passed but now they had it on record that I made a late payment in October, which even though it was their fault for taking 3 months to process a simple instruction to change a date meant I had a bad credit rating with them and it really was a case of "the computer says no"

If they had given me that loan in August or for that matter when I passed my probation I would not have been in the worse position in the first place!

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

If he can keep going after that, he might be just your sort...

10. AndyMulhearn

Yep, I know. And quite often they help you out in lovely ways with massive overdraft charges and stuff. Just to keep you on the borderline.

11. LesleySM

i would have to admire his persistence in the face of danger I admit

12. LesleySM

Finally talked to the bank but the reason they were chasing me turned out to be back in October they had to decline a payment on an unsecured loan. Explained with great feeling the reason it was declined was a glitch in their system caused it and it was paid the next day. A brief argument followed about how much inconvenience they had caused me and I am not paying any overdraft interest this month so that's £50+ extra I have not to mention my rent arrears are nearly done so I have asked if i can halve the amount I am currently paying

Right now they aren't prepared to lend me to pay off my overdraft or anything else for that matter although I proved if they did i would be instantly better off and able to pay in half the time they were talking about but not best pleased when I said let's discuss it in say 5 months time when all my other debts will be paid off (apart from my credit cards but they are fixed and going down anyway) but then I might not even want a loan as i should be able to clear said overdraft in about 18 months tops......

I think i was supposed to grovel.....

And I have an interview Friday for a job that pays considerably more than what I am currently getting and more importantly sounds a lot more interesting compared to what i am doing now

Zou and John Farrell like this.
  13. AndyMulhearn

If I were you once you have your debts paid off, I'd move banks. It's trivial to do now and they need to learn that there is a downside for them of not working hard enough at customer care.

Mark101 likes this.
  14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that, Lesley; there are also banks offering money if you change over to them, which might be beneficial to you.

Mark101 likes this.
  15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Banks are reluctant to lend to people who keep changing jobs.

16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

That may well be the case, but with the increasing numbers of people who take on agency work or are on zero-hour contracts, they may have to change their bias, as these people will just bank somewhere else. When the Post Office stopped providing their service to those on benefits, they were initially quite enthusiastic about attracting these customers, until it dawned on them that the money very rarely remained in these accounts for long, which I think, changed their bias a bit from that point onwards.

Mark101 and AndyMulhearn like this.
  17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

All I can say is that listening to all the financial gurus on tv and radio they all seem to prefer dialogue with a view to consolidation. Normally the debtor has to make the first move in this process.

18. LesleySM

I have been in my current job nearly 18 months but yes, it's like applying for jobs, something of a vicious circle. You have a lot of temp jobs on your CV employers will sometimes question if this means you don't stay in a job for long and mark you down for it but I have had t from time to time do temp work just to pay rent and feed the cats (And on two occasions at least including my current job I got it because I was a temp with them) and if I sat on my backside and did nothing but claim benefits for a few months that would also go against me

19. LesleySM

I have several other banks in my sights when that happens

20. LesleySM

Well the interview today is not happening, I am waiting to hear if they will see me next week but I suspect not

Felt like I was getting a cold since Monday. Time I got in Wednesday after work, took an Amazon delivery upstairs, it was heavy so I plonked it in the hallway and sat down for a second....I woke up 3 hours later with the front door still on the latch so I had a shower and went to bed,

After a very rough night, I called in sick and managed to get some sleep, My boss called me just before 12 she didn't get the message and had been sending me texts i get the impression if I hadn't answered she'd be asking HR to contact my emergency contact! I got up and sat in the living room. I NEVER stay in all day even if I only go for a 5-minute stroll but yesterday I only moved from the chair to go to the loo about 4 I thought I;d go back to bed and even the 15 or so steps from my chair to my bed was too much effort,

Had a brief burst of feeling okay about 9 in the evening I made some cheese and crackers (I had been living off soup and toast), finished off some soap I was making for a friends birthday (Which was yesterday and I was really looking forward to running a game last night as well but that went out the window), put a photo into a competition (realised today I sent the wrong photo but you only get one free entry) and sat down thinking I might as well go to bed, woke up at 2.30 still in the chair and crawled to bed.

Another rotten night but I had to go to the "Co-Op" for bread and paracetamol, said "Co-Op" is literally just over the road from me but I had to sit on the wall outside the store for 5 minutes to recover from getting out the house and crossing the road and once I got my little bit of shopping I had to sit on the wall again to brace myself for crossing the road.

Thought if I washed my hair I might feel better and for a minute or two I did then I felt dire again so interview out of the question

I even have the heating on, which I never do in the daytime but it's the only way to stop me from shivering. I am waiting on a last delivery (my fault, part of the one that came yesterday was damaged and I complained (wasn't major a can of beer had leaked in transit) so they credited my gift card with the cost of the pack, which I then spent on more cat food) then I am going back to bed and hoping this passes soon or I do!