1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Normal Service

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 5, 2020.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Was there a break in forum service today. I tried to access it around 3pm but was unable to do so. Using my shortcut the forum page came up but no forum topics. I then tried the long way by going to the main site via my browser and all I got was a fault code 404 (or similar.) It seems to be OK Now.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes, the site went down. The server was reporting that the service was working and that problems were higher level. I thought maybe they’d deliberately taken the forum off-line. The main AP page kept working.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think that we had a changeover of server. Also for a time there was an invalid certificate. The Job seemed to be done within an hour. Given that our forum operates 24 by 7 such events are going to be seen by some of us. It is only a forum, not a mission critical service. Even so It would have been professional to state in advance that there would be a disruption of service. I reckon that the techies did pretty well. Management less well.

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I use Google Chrome and the only thing I have noticed is that since this morning, is that the AP Ikon tab is different. It's now black, with what might be a line of white text across it.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a Purple square with Amateur in very small letters and Photographer underneath in slightly larger letters. OK so actually it is two white lines of different length and thickness but supposed to look like the magazine banner ish!

6. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

That's obviously what I have, but you either know a way of enlarging the page, or your eyesight must be a lot better than mine!

7. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Are we talking about the favicon?

If so mine is a black square with a white T in it.

Catriona likes this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I get that in the tab but not the bookmarks* menu, that has the purple square.

*Other browsers/Operating Systems may use different terminology

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That's what it used to be. If you hit F5 it will refresh the cache and load the new icon.

Just because I'm back... I'd like to make a note that it wasn't me. I was nowhere near the BIG RED BUTTON that resets everything!

daft_biker, DaveM399 and Catriona like this.
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That is because we had. a guard put over it while you were away.

John Farrell and Fen like this.
  11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Looks like the underlying infrastructure serving the AP site has been changed. It used to be reached through an Amazon Web Services fronted service, but it's now hosted by Nimbus Hosting.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The main AP site seems to be on a different server to the Forum.

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Why do you believe that to be true?

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’m intrigued too. I wouldn’t think there was any means to tell where anything is hosted, a security basic I’d have thought. Nor can I see why it would be done, total nightmare for administration surely.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You would think so, unless there is an absolutely compelling reason for having forum and main web site on different servers. Not that I can think of one.

16. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Because the lounge is so important to us all that AP fears the mental well-being of the users :oops::rolleyes::D:p:cool::confused:

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Made of silver.

Fen likes this.