1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-Sony batteries

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by RonClark, Jul 17, 2014.

1. RonClark

RonClark Well-Known Member

No questions this time folks, just a warning here. My wife uses a Sony A58, which uses the same battery as my A77. I managed to lose a pouch with four spaer batteries in it, along with a number of SD cards too. Anyway, Jan orded some new spares but didn't notice they were coming in from the States. I was using one of those new spares during my recent weekedn away in Bournemouth. The first thing I noticed when the battery was showing about 50% charge was that the 77 lost all shooting modes but auto. A few minutes later I found that the camera body was very hot. I got that battery out and let the body cool down (went and had pint while it so - why waste time eh ;-))) ). I then put in a Sony one I had with me and all the functions were back to normal. I'm sure we've all seen the warnings about using non-Sony kit; well, I was lucky, I seem to have got away with it for now.

The Yanky batteries? Well Jan is using them in her A58 without any problems.

Regards

Ron

2. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I bought a charger for an A7 as Sony no longer supply one. And charging batteries in camera if you use a grip is tedious. I couldn't find a genuine Sony one, so I assume Sony no longer make them.

I did, however, find a third-party one on Amazon for £25. And this included two compatible batteries!

I've had one instance where the camera showed a battery error, but reinserting it cleared that. I've used them alongside a genuine Sony battery in the grip with no other problems, and they last just as long.

3. Topconvet

Topconvet Well-Known Member

I've been using non-Sony batteries in my Sony camcorder without problems. What make of batteries were you using?

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I'm using non Sony batteries in an A200, A350 and a Sony netbook no problems; the netbook battery is more than twice the capacity of the original, so I'm getting just short of 11 hours instead of about 5 hours.

5. mrboab27

mrboab27 Member

I have a sony a77 and one of the batteries i have are non Sony and sometimes it doesn't read it other times it does and it discharges really quickly I have tried it in my old minolta dynax 7d and it works fine. Strange how it affects one camera and not others.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A body I bought from an Ebay seller arrived with a third party battery (I protested and got a part refund). It discharges far faster than an original, but there have been no recognition issues thus far.

7. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

My Sony DSC-R1 has been running on 3rd party batteries for eight years without any issues.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Some are better than others!