1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Noise

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I hope this is a serious question. I was just trying to justify NOT buying a K-5. The question is this:

Should I keep using the K-7 and buy a good noise reduction software program for the odd occasion when I use high ISO?

I know about the 7fps and the 16Mp and the HD video, but......... :D

2. ojb28

ojb28 Well-Known Member

Being familiar with this 'I want a new toy' emotion, I've found there's one good technique to dispell it, at least for a little while! Take your K7 out for a special photography session and put all your skills to work to create some really nice images. Come back, process them carefully and print your best few shots as big as you can, say A3, and see if you aren't happy with the technical quality of the results. Then ask yourself again. How would they have been better with a K5?

That said the K5 is the first camera Pentax has relased which has got me thinking about upgrading my trusty K10D... and I did succumb just yesterday to a Sigma EX 100-300mm f4 to replace my 80-320mm...

So that's my tuppence for what it's worth! Looking forward to seeing those shots! :)

3. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Sorry to tempt you, but the K-5 is a brilliant camera with a new sensor and a pereformance that knocks the socks off the opposition. It is a major step forward - just read the reviews!

Then buy one.... :cool:

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Thanks John... that hasn't helped ;)

I am very, very tempted... but is it a major step forward from the K-7?

5. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Yes, a real step forwards in terms of speed and quality. The noise levels are incredibly low and actually better than the Nikon D700.

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Thank you John... :D

7. Monobod

Hi,

Yes, this is what is troubling me really. The K-5 is probably the camera I always hoped and wanted the K10D, K20D and the K-7 to be, but wasn't.

The K-7 will make an excellent 2nd body to save endless lens swapping when out on a shoot, with the K-5 giving everything that added boost. I know it makes sense, so I am convinced it is right.

Ojb28, you will love the Sigma 100-300 f/4. I have had mine for two years and the results are superb. It works very well with the 1.4x converter, still giving autofocus. I also have the 2x tc and the image quality with that on is very acceptable, but autofocus is lost. Not really a problem though as you need to be tripod mounted and using a remote release. The slightest movement of the camera/tripod can ruin a shot. But 900mm equivalent is stunning.

Can't wait to see how they perform with the K-5. :)

I must say it is great to see Pentax back on top, where it should be.

8. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

...and most dealers are now selling the K-5 body for £1029 David plus an £80 cash back... mmmmm decisions, decisions...

9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

10. Monobod

Thanks for reminding me. Warehouse Express are just 14 miles away, so I called in this afternoon and bagged the K-5 and 18-55mm kit. Just got home with it now.

Strange pricing, the difference in price between that and the body only is £40 and the difference in the two cash back offers is also £40, so I got the lens free.

Even the guy behind the counter hadn't noticed that one. :eek:

11. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Noise .. the answer YOU don't want to read/see ....[NEVER MIND]

Hi David,

I can tell you that I have not played (ie: shot) with a K-5 and the only time I have
    touched them ...was to install the firmware update (announced recently). Mind
    you, having said that, I have flogged a few and, so far, the only issue I have heard
    of is that "the Auto Image Rotation" doesn't work the same as the K-7 :)D) ?

Now, David, the part you don't want to see/read:

What I told one of my customers; " come down to the store with your K-7 (w/battery), an empty memory card and (a) lens ..... do some shots with the K-7 with various settings and light ... then pop your battery and memory card into the K-5 and do the <u>EXACT</u> same shots with
    the same settings. Remove the battery and memory card, thank the salesperson profusely whilst putting the battery and memory card back in your K-7 ...head back home and dump all the stuff
    in your computer and review the images in great detail. Then if, in your opinion, there is a significant enough difference between your K-7 and the K-5 results you decide if it's worth the
    money .... bearing in mind that, if not alraeady done, you can flog your old cameras (K20, K10, etc...) and put those funds towards the K-5 at some point and <u>put the dosh</u> you were thinking of spending on other photographic kit <u>on your ticket to Vancouver</u> :D

Also, if you can, wait until next January/February when the inevitable price drop will occur
    and you can put that money towards a modest lunch/dinner for your favourite (camera)
    salesperson (on either side of the pond :rolleyes:

Cheers and see ya (next year) :cool:

Jack

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Re: Noise .. the answer YOU don't want to read/see .... :eek:

I fear you are too late!

13. Done_rundleCams

:eek: ... well, as per usual Zou, my advice (to others) is always
    that "hindsight is 20-20" :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack

14. Monobod

Yes, I know the price will drop, it always did before and it will this time. But considering that I have sold my K20D for a good (but fair) price and with the cashback, I have a free lens and a K-5 body for just over £400 of fresh funds, I think I have done OK.

I will check out the image rotation, but TBH, it doesn't bother me that much if it is a bit different, but I cannot understand why it should be??

The main concern now is whether the Pentax 18-55 is better than my Sigma 17-70. If it is, or not very much different, I will sell the Sigma as the Pentax is weatherproofed.

I must say, if I had been paying the full price, i would have looked long and hard at the Kr instead. This also looks like a winning offering. If you get one Jack, let us all know what you think. :)

15. Monobod

Oh, by the way Jack, I would love to pop over to Vancouver to have lunch with you, but I have spent the fare on the K-5. :D

Maybe when you are next in Blighty we can have a coffee together somewhere.

16. ojb28

ojb28 Well-Known Member

Well David, mine was a valiant effort, but I think you had made your mind up by the time you asked the question :D I have been trying to persuade myself the 80-320mm was good enough for my purposes (which it probably is) and save myself £600 in the bargain, but sometimes a little (or a lot!) of what you fancy does you good! I can't wait till the 100-300/4 arrrives :)

Happy shooting with the new toy... (I'm secretly rather jealous!)

17. Monobod

You were probably right in some respects, but because I had over half the money in hand already, I couldn't resist it. I really do hope now though that this will be my last purchase for quite some time. I bet the next thing will be a full frame body challenging the 5D Mk II. I hope that Pentax might go the other way with a mirrorless body as I am not interested at all in these. My G10 is adequate for a carry everywhere reserve.

If you have the Pentax 80-320 in silver finish, I had one of these, but it was not a patch on the Sigma, so I sold it. It was not a very expensive lens at the time I bought it and I had not really researched it well enough. Mine has quite a lot of sideways movement in the barrel when fully extended.

I am certain the Sigma will not dissapoint you. I was also pleased to learn that it is a full frame lens so I can use it on my Z1-P film body. Double bubble.

18. ojb28

ojb28 Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if Pentax launched a full frame DSLR any time soon, I think they've gone one better and leapfrogged the other manufacturers with the 645D. It's not that much more expensive than the likes of the D3X and 1DS mk3, and offers significantly more resolution. I am surprised to see this weeks AP cover saying it's aimed at enthusiasts though! Maybe enthusiasts with more than a student loan to fund new kit...!

My 80-320mm is the black version and is actually very good up to about 260mm wide open in the centre, but I always seem to use it wide open at 320mm where things are a bit 'dreamy'. So it's good to hear you like the 100-300/4!

19. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,
    Cheers,

Jack

20. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

Ditto - and apparently unrepairable (unless someone knows better and can actually do it! :-(