1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise reduction software

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Bazarchie, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

The current AP has a favourable review of dxo Photolabs ii .Anybody use this software or something similar?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd have to read the article again but I thought their special noise reduction mode was their unique selling proposition, though I didn't think the macaw(?) example particularly compelling. I use Lightroom but I hardly ever use the noise reduction sliders - mainly if I'm revisiting old shots taken with a G10 compact.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I can’t help, I’m afraid, @Bazarchie... noise reduction is the very antithesis of my approach to photography, these days. I don’t use noise reduction of any kind, because in recent years, I’ve grown to really dislike the ‘clean’ image. I much prefer photographs with some roughness in them (as per the Japanese wabi sabi aesthetic. Essentially, the acceptance of imperfection… from Buddhism I believe, although I’ll stand corrected on that, if that’s not so). I simply find the aesthetics of imperfection far, far more pleasing than any sort of technical ‘perfection’.

Prior to my 'Damascene conversion' ;), I would frequently be enthusiastically downloading the latest trial versions of various NR programs, only to find that I was just as disappointed with the latest version, as I was with the previous version. Eventually, it dawned on me that the problem was that I didn’t actually like smooth noise-free images. At that point, my methods changed.

Now, I often purposely use a higher ISO setting than necessary (provided that the camera being used has high-ISO noise which is acceptably similar to film-grain), simply to break up the smoothness of the image. If the camera I'm using isn't capable of producing convincingly film-like noise/grain, then I add my own home grown 'grain' in post-processing.

Much more satisfying, IMO, than chasing perfection! :D

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If you shoot RAW then at times some noise reduction will help with high ISO shots. I use PS ACR (photoshop raw developer) and the Maxime less is more!