1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No new news?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Fen, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Not heard anything on any of the furoms I visit regarding the Minolta DSLR.

Any one have anything?

fen.

<iframe width="450" height="92" scrolling="no" src="http://www.fenris.co.uk/bn2.htm"></iframe>

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Not really.........

Just the usual ponderings of what if, and will this fit the new DSLR Fen.
    From what I can put together from the forums I visit (probably similar ones to you) and the latest from Konica Minolta Photoworld, is that the D7D will definitely come out at photokina, there will be some new lenses at the same time, it is likely that the D7D is going to be a Mid-range DSLR along the lines of the 10D and D100, and that there is likely to be a D9D (or something similar) next year with AS and a better range of SSM lenses for the pro market (allegedly).
    My own hopes are that with the announcement of Pentax's budget DSLR also coming out at photokina, this will create a price war with Canon and Nikon and force the prices of all DSLR's down, if this is the case then hopefully the D7D will as predicted come in at the same price level as the 10D/D100.
    I think that for the next couple of months the official PR will be quiet but in the run up to photokina, then I expect things to get a bit more active, this of course will be manna for the rumour mill.

I think it is going to be a case of being patient and where possible pick up the top quality older f/4 lenses that are going for reasonable monies at present, I've got a cracking 70 - 210 f/4 and am now after a 35 - 70 f/4 and if possible a 300 f/4 G.

<font color=blue>RonM CRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Not really.........

Morning Ron,

I gather you already an 50mm.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Photokina

Same times as rumours of the release of the Canon D10 II

Regarding - Konica Minolta Photoworld, I'm registered on there and get the newsletters, but whne I try and log in it says I don't exist! Tried emailling them (5 time so far) but get no replies /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

don't want to re-register as then I'll be getting two sets of newsletters!

fen.

<iframe width="450" height="92" scrolling="no" src="http://www.fenris.co.uk/bn2.htm"></iframe>

5. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Evening Jack,

Yes I have an absolutely corking 50mm f/1.4, I'd say the only poorish lens (and thats only in comparison to my primes and the 70 - 210) I own is the Sigma 28 - 300 which will become a 32 - 450 equivalent on the D7D

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Fen,

I take it you've tried going there via the links in the newsletter? if there is anything in particular you're interested in then let me know and I can either post it here or PM/E-mail you with it.

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

RonM,

Many thanks for the offer, it'd just be nice to enter some of the competitions.

I'll try emailling them again /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

fen.

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Good luck and good luck with the comps'

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Sorted... In A Way

sorted it out, well kinda.

i just unsub'd from the list and then re-subbed under a different email address. seems to have worked!

fen.

10. Done_rundleCams

Morning Ron,

Are you going to take a peek at the Sigma 18-125 lens when it becomes
    available?

Also, one lens you might want to take a look for is a Minolta 135/2.8 which
    will become (approximately) a 200/2.8 and the only reason I mention this is
    because I was in a competitors shop this afternoon and they selling off a new
    Pentax 135/2.8 IF for about £80 less than what I could purchase it through
    Pentax. Also, most 135/2.8 lenses are notorious for being sharp and contrasty
    lenses.

***Another in a host of seemingly pointless posts by moi /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif. ***

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

11. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Jack,

I've sorta got a 135 f/2.8 except mine is the STF 135mm f/2.8 T4.5 lens and it is really sharp, excellent contrast and phenomenol bokeh. It also allows one to achieve unusual DoF

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Re: Sorted... In A Way

Just knew you'd find a work round Fen/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

hahaha

now if I can only find a "work around" for convincing Mrs Fen that I really really need a DSLR /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

fen.

14. Done_rundleCams

" it is really sharp, excellent contrast and phenomenol bokeh. It also allows one to achieve unusual DoF"

Morning Ron,

Is that an older Manual Focus lens by Minolta?

I was also going to mention that the 135mm lenses are usually
    quite compact as well.

Jack

15. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Not in this case Jack the STF 135mm is an 'A' mount Minolta lens for AF cameras, however it is manual focus onlybut does have twin set of aperture blades which is where the f/2.8 T4.5 comes in along with the inbuilt apodization filter which gives a smoth transition from focused to defocused areas. The lens is IMOcompact its dimensions are 80mm dia by 99mm length.
    In general the STF lens is not one that you would find in every Minolta owners camera kit bag or photovest/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif it is quite a rarity.

16. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Trying to convince Sali, you're on your own there Fen, although I was thinking of using womens price of shoes trick, you know the one when they tell you what a bargain those shoes were they were under a Tenner (True price £49.99), so I reckon if I say the body only price is about one fifth to one third of actual I might just get away with it./img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

17. Done_rundleCams

Morning Ron,

Just had a look at the lens and some test shots from it. Nice looking
    lens and I gather it is probably the only lens that Minolta made with
    tbe Maxxum mount and an Aperture ring/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif?

Jack

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Mmmmm... risky strategy there RonM

You probably leave camera mags around where Mrs Ron can access them. She'll be able to check the prices.

Of course you've noticed that 'they' don't leave shoe magazines around just fo this very reason /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

fen.

19. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

To a point Jack, the Aperture ring you mention operates the 2nd (T) set of Aperture blades (T/4.5 - 6.7) and also I beleive the Adopization filter the lens when used as a 'standard' telephoto has the normal 1st aperture blades (f/2.8 - 32) operated from the body as normal

20. Done_rundleCams

"To a point Jack, the Aperture ring you mention operates the 2nd (T) set of Aperture blades (T/4.5 - 6.7) and also I beleive the Adopization filter the lens when used as a 'standard' telephoto has the normal 1st aperture blades (f/2.8 - 32) operated from the body as normal"

Morning Ron,

Holy smokes, I thought my jump from 110 film to Disc film was confusing/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

Wow, I am guessing this lens is where Nikon got the idea for 105 and 135 DC
    lenses/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif?

Jack