1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Fujifilm chat!

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by AFBingPhotography, Nov 14, 2012.

1. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

You use of the histogram is correct - but the observation that the camera tends to underexpose is probably no less true about any digital camera. The screen is not a good guide to exposure though because the best RAW images will look overexposed on the screen.

There is an excellent illustrated article in Black and White Photography by Lee Frost about exposing to the right. I have heard the term and understand what it means but had never tried it. What motivated me to try exposing to the right was the clarity of the multi page article and the illustrations.

On most images the difference is dramatic in terms of the range of tones capatured. Most matrix metered images looked fine on the screen but the histogram was only occupying the left hand half of the horizontal axis. This meant that only half the range of tones in the image was being captured - and the image was underexposed.

I have found that, to push the histogram across the screen so that the highlights are just inside the right hand axis, takes at least 2/3 stop and often +1 stop more than the metered exposure. The LCD screen then makes them look overexposed. However, putting them into Aperture 3 and adjusting Curves in a classic S shape restores the contrast. Side by side comparisons between as per meter shots and exposed to the right shots of the same scenes shows vastly more detail in the exposed to the right shots.

By definition this implies that most digital matrix metered shots will be underexposed - and correctly exposed shots will look over exposed on the LCD.

So the XE-1 is innocent of this crime in my view.

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

There's a detailed tutorial and discussion artical on the technique of exposing to the right on Luminous Landscape, here.

3. Calinyx

Calinyx Member

I've had my fuji hs50exr for almost 2 weeks now.

I went into a local camera shop and tried out it against a comparable nikon bridge and the canon version with a 50x zoom. The weight and build quality of the fuji put it out in front straight away. I also like the manual zoom on the fuji as opposed the the auto zoom. Next as I own a raynox dcr-250 maco lens, I wanted to see if it would fit any of the other cameras. The canon would have needed an adapter ring, but the Fuji it clipped straight onto. I then used my own sd card and took a heap of photos with all three cameras all pointing at the same area so that when i got home I could compare the difference on all three. Ok the canon had that extra bit on the zoom, but the clarity of the pics on the fuji had me well impressed [having come from the panasonic lumix fz45, i wanted something that was as good or better]. I even showed my hubby them to see what he thought, without telling him which camera was which.

The following day with my mind made up I went back into the shop and came out with the fuji. I've had a great time this last fortnight learning about this camera, have taken over 6000 photos [well spent a whole day at a local car speedfest so had car stunt drivers and pursuits plus loads and loads of cars full stop to take photos of :p . I've used my raynox also.

I would certainly recommend a fuji to those who wouldn't have maybe considered it as an option.

4. Percyprod

Percyprod New Member

I have been using a Canon G9 and 500D then 550D for the last few years, and used the 550D with the 15mm-85mm and 70mm-200mmf4 lenses, the battery grip, 580 flash, all in a nice, big camera bag. I was generally happy with the results, but started to get fed up with carrying a heavy bag and bulky camera around, and also feeling rather 'stand outish' with the setup. The final straw was being told when filming my son playing for the Cheshire Phoenix that 'professional cameras weren't allowed'! After some thought and research I have sold the Canon gear and bought a X20, an XE-1 and the 14mm, 18-55mm, 35mm, 60mm and 55-200mm lenses and the FE42 flashgun. I am now a happy bunny! It all fits into a bag 1/3rd the size, the high ISO performance is better, I think the lenses are sharper and are smaller and lighter than the Canon lenses. The X-20 does not perform so well at high ISO but is very sharp and pleasing up to 800ISO. I find, as others have said that I am now enjoying my photography much more than I have for a long time.

5. bobmielke

bobmielke Member

I'll be adding a Fuji X-E1 to my camera collection in about two weeks. I'm also buying 3 lenses at the same time I order the body; the 18-55mm, 55-200mm & 35mm. I can't wait.

6. Milltowngirl

Milltowngirl New Member

Are you still enjoying the Fuji Calinyx? I have been looking at this or the Sony chx300, Nixon p520 or the canon sx500 as my first bridge camera?

7. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

Ahem...

Ahem.... :D

As you can see we have just added this forum by popular demand.

Please post advice, questions and any other Fujifilm camera or lens related info in this forum.

8. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

Which one?

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was going to say that I don't have one, but of course I do - a film compact, the DL Super Mini. Lovely little thing.

My son has an S2950, which is great for what it is.

10. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

My Fuji :)

[​IMG]

Must defrost some film for it!

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It was. I have an X20 with a very smart leather case.