1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Fujifilm chat!

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by AFBingPhotography, Nov 14, 2012.

1. cpfc12

cpfc12 Well-Known Member

You should have some great opportunities there. Hope to see some on the Gallery when you return.
    Regards

Robert.

2. aahimenaah

aahimenaah Active Member

The Cuba trip has happened and the X-E1 got thoroughly road tested. As requested, some pictures have been put up in the Exhibition Lounge and here are my thoughts on how it performed (bearing in mind that I usually take my Canon EOS 5D and two or three lenses with me on this type of trip).

Overall, I love this camera. Once I'd got used to the smaller body I didn't find the handling to be cramped or fiddly and really enjoyed toting a less bulky camera around. I also found the handling very intuitive - having an aperture ring and manual meant I was rarely more than one or two touches away from all the key functions. If a feature needs a lot of finding, I tend to forget it's there so the X-E1's design encouraged me to take a great deal of creative control over each picture.

Picture quality is excellent - most of the time I left it on the Velvia setting as it suited the old fashioned air of Cuba. Occasional forays into Provia or b&w went well too.

The camera was perfect for a fast paced tour holiday like this one when there was usually not much time to stop and think about how best to photograph a subject. I ended up taking a lots of grab shots, which befits the XE1's marketing as a street photography camera. It was also good to have a less conspicuous camera in Cuba, where all tourists stick out like a sore thumb and I found myself being constantly chased by locals who wanted to sell me something or marry me. If I had been fully in control of the time I spent taking pictures, I'd probably rather have had a DSLR for its steadiness and superior viewfinder but as things were I didn't miss the 5D that often.

Slight bugbears:

• The XE-1 has a strong tendency to underexpose. More often than not I found myself dialling in a +1 on the exposure compensation dial. At first I was worried that the screen wasn't giving an accurate view of the exposure, so used the histogram to help which gave me some reassurance I wasn't going to come home with hundreds of over exposed files. The screen and histogram proved accurate for judging exposure, thank goodness, but the tendency for the meter to underexpose was confirmed.
    • Depth of field was noticeably not as good as my 5D. It's probably only worth using aperture priority at the extreme ends of the scale, i.e. when you really need a blurred background or to be sure it's in focus from back to front. I ended up using shutter speed priority most of the time - no bad thing as it's sharpened up my pictures and cut down on the number that get rejected due to camera shake.
    • It was more difficult to keep the camera level, probably due to its lack of size and weight. I ended up using the straighten tool a lot afterwards in PSE. The display includes a green line to indicate a straight shot - I later realised how important it is to make sure you take heed of it.
    • Raw files need to be converted before opening in Photoshop Elements. They're big too - a haul of 1500 pictures from a 16 day trip nearly filled my hard drive and caused memory problems until I took them off PSE. Cue a trip to buy a separate hard drive to keep them on.
    • As per other reviews, battery life isn't great. I took two batteries and was only getting a day and a half of shooting out of each one. In comparison, my 5D batteries would probably only have needed two or three charges in the 16 days, rather than 8 or 9. The non branded one I bought as a backup had noticeably less life than the Fujifilm one. Luckily hotel power points were reliable, but this isn't a camera you'd want to take into serious wilderness for more than a couple of days, unless you want to spend lots of money on a pocketful of spare batteries.

In the main the XE1 is a great camera and apart from the battery life issue, it was a pleasure to use and easy to find workarounds for its little quirks. Still, for me while it's an invaluable tool in the camera collection, it's not a DSLR replacement. But I was surprised at how close it came.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. Steve1401

Steve1401 Member

I'd agree with the sentiment of no brand titles, but as it stands there is and Fuji is missing, although I don't think for a minute there is any intended bias. Also, the Fuji X-Series range wouldn't fit too comfortably in a bridge camera section - they are the flagship Fuji range and not really bridge cameras, more a mirrorless category I'd guess?

Perhaps a better range of forum headers would be: SLR; DSLR; Film; Mirrorless; Bridge and so on...????

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Over the last month there has not been even one more new thread in the Leica Room but the room still exists (I suggested a reason why it should still exist; that was the last post over a month ago).
    In the same period there have been a number of Fuji posts scattered around the site. Fuji is a significant player with innovative products in niche areas and I suggest that it deserves its own room.

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Fuji have certainly been coming up in the world over the last year or 2 with the X series in APS and 2/3" sensor forms, and they still seem to be cranking out respectable bridge cameras and compacts.

6. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

He means December last year.

7. thornrider

What like :-

Nikon Chat

Canon Chat

Pentax Chat

Panasonic Chat

Leica Chat

Sony Chat

etc

8. Quixotematic

Quixotematic Member

I'm plotting to buy a Fuji, while my wife isn't looking. I've fallen in love with their X series compacts and CSCs.

The XE1 is very tempting, but I'd tend to bankrupt myself collecting lenses and thats what my DSLR is for.

The X100s looks like great fun and has a Bayer-less sensor but I'm not sure I wouldn't miss a zoom.

The X20 also has no low-pass filter and looks like it would be my ideal backup camera and won't start demanding accessories!

9. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

We have been debating the review of the X20 in feedback section. :)

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?107265-Fujifilm-X20-review

10. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I think he meant "no bias" not "no makers forums"

11. P_Stoddart

I do mean camera type:

Highend compact chat

Bridge chat

CSC chat

consumer dSLR chat

pro (ff) dSLR chat

and even maybe

MF chat.

film chat.

But it is MHO. :p

12. Roy5051

My misinterpretation, sorry.

There should be no "makers" forums, just

Compact, Bridge, CSC, SLR and Others.

MHO

13. P_Stoddart

We are of the same position. :)

This is especially true given Hasselblad coming into the CSC market.

As camera become more electronic we might see new players in the CSC market. It is worth keeping in mind that MFT is a open standard.

Could we one day see a Intel highend camera. :rolleyes:

The had alittle try in 2000 I believe.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The battery soon runs down so you need couple of spares. The LC-X20 is a gorgeous bit of leather work. The Lens hood is an extra. If you want video with sound but without camera noises then the add on microphone would be needed. The built in flash is pretty good by compact standards but that's really implying that an external flash is desirable.
    Apart from all of those, it won't demand accessories.

15. Quixotematic

Quixotematic Member

Well . . . maybe just one or two small accessories would be OK. ;)

16. Roy5051

Aren't the accessories for these top-end rangefinder-type cameras too expensive. Not just Fuji, but all manufacturers? Let's face it, who would want to spend £200+ on an add-on viewfinder for a camera that costs £500? Crazy....

17. thornrider

Wasn't that impressed with the X20 - but the XE-1 and the X Pro are simply gorgeous cameras in the traditional sense. The build quality is stunning, the performance is way above what you would imagine is possible - and the prices are very good when compared with say a Leica M9 which is their nearest competition.

The XE-1 seems a bargain with it's kit lens (£899) and this will probab;y drop a bit as time goes on. A couple more lenses from Fuji and the promised Zeiss X mount lenses will only make the picture better.

18. Quixotematic

Quixotematic Member

What put you off - was it the jpgs? Were the RAWs better or where else did it fall down?

19. thornrider

I read several tests on both the X20 and the XE-1.

My impression is that the X20 is good for the small size of it's sensor. But for £477 street price the sensor doesn't have to be that small - between 1 1/7 compact size and 1 inch as in the Nikon 1. It has an optical viewfinder but it's no great shakes much the same as the Canon G series optical viewfinder which also zooms with the lens. That leaves you using the small 2.8 inch LCD with it's lower than the competition resolution of 460,000 dots. The non-interchangeable zoom lens would be more useful if it was 28-140 like most other compacts instead of 28-112 equivalent. £477 is more than the Sony RX100 and some of the Sony APS-C sensored Nex CSC's.

By contrast the XE-1 is not that much more expensive for what you get - £877 with a top class kit lens and APS-C sensor. The lens is interchangeable, the resolution holds to 33 ppm up to 1600 ISO in RAW - and it has a good electronic viewfinder that you would actually be inclined to use over the LCD.

There doesn't seem to be a reason that makes sense for the customer to make the sensor so small - and the camera so expensive compared with the competition. A bit like a 1000cc three cylinder Ford Focus that develops 130 bhp - but costs the same as a 1600cc 4 cylinder Ford Focus with similar but more relaxed performance.

In fairness the X20 would look better if the XE-1 wasn't there. But the XE-1 is there.

20. Quixotematic

Quixotematic Member

Thanks for that summary, thornrider. You've saved me a quantity of reading and sold me and XE-1. You must invoice Jessops for your commission, though.

As per my sig, the only compact I have experience of is a Lumix TZ7. The X20 is about twice what I paid for my TZ7, years ago, so if it were twice as good, I'd be happy. However, as a light alternative to my Canon 650D the XE-1 seems a good idea. I fly to Japan every year and a DSLR is a significant percentage of my carry-on allowance!