1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Nikon's Cashback Scheme

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by PhotoEcosse, Jan 14, 2014.

1. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I said a straightforward discount on the shop price would have been a much stronger incentive to buy and a lot more convenient.

I was uneasy when I tried to use the last £23.81 on my card towards a pub lunch (Chef & Brewer), and was told it came up “void” before even asking for the PIN. But it was accepted without problem at the local filling station where I had spent the rest.

Chris

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who responded.

My fears were unfounded and all is well. (Although I answered the questionnaire in similar vein to some of those above.)

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

...and now there's another cashback scheme for Spring, that appears to start today

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Link please. Some of us are too lazy to find these things for ourselves.

5. IvorETower

Doesn't seem to be anything on Nikon's UK website, but there were leaflets being handed out at the NEC

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

and an advert from Park in next week's AP.

Are any lenses included?

7. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

I noticed that Jessops are still doing the Nikon Cashback offer on some lenses .
    I've only ever once participated in a Cashback offer , and that was with Canon , I'd bought a Canon Printer from Jessops with £50 Cashback , it took about a months from submitting and only then when I phoned them up asking what the procedure and hold-up was .

I can only assume that the ONLY 2 reasons for these Cashback Offers instead of the MUCH EASIER money-off at the counter are..

1] The Company will make some money on the interest accrued in that month [ or longer ] .

2] They hope that you will forget to send off for it or can't be bothered .

8. BOB-R

BOB-R Member

Quite true on point 1/. In my case I've loaned somebody £160 interest free!

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, not at all. There are several reasons:
    1. To protect authorised retailers, and retain their margins and turnover in the face of grey imports etc.
    2. To get marketing details of owners
    3. To protect residual values a little for existing owners.

They give control to the manufacturer, which a discount doesn't - there's nothing to force the retailer to pass it on, nor any of the other benefits.

10. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I don’t think the interest saved would be enough to cover the setup costs!

That probably does bring Nikon real savings. I’d be curious to know what percentage of their cashback is actually claimed.

I suppose a complication with setting up money off at the counter, rather than a scheme where Nikon send benefits to customers, is that it would be difficult for Nikon to control when retailers sold discounted products. But I’d still prefer a cheque from Nikon to messing about trying to spend money on a card controlled by a PIN.

Chris

11. Kingswood

Kingswood New Member

I bought an SB910 at the beginning of December from Amazon and submitted receipts etc, but I wasn't able to get the cashback because I'd ordered a 'fulfilled by Amazon' item.

It was my own fault for not checking when I ordered it, but the annoying thing was that Nikon didn't tell me it wasn't eligible until I phoned them a couple of weeks ago to see what was happening.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^ Possibly the item was not UK sourced stock, in which case Nikon UK would have no obligation with regard to the item.

13. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I bought my camera from Amazon themselves (as opposed to one of their "marketplace" partners) and the Casback offer was honoured.

14. IvorETower

Nope, not "still" doing it; this is the new offer.

From the leaflet I picked up at the NEC on Saturday:
    Valid on purchases from 01 March 2014 to 28 May 2014 inclusive
    Closing date for claims is 30 June 2014

D5300 £60 cashback
    D7100 £100 cashback
    D610 £120 cashback

SB-300 speedlight £30 cashback

DX AF-S lenses:
    35mm f/1.8;40mm f/2.8 micro : £20 cashback each
    16-85; 18-140 : £50 cashback each
    18-200 £60 cashback
    18-300 £70 cashback

... and it's a pre-paid Visa card again, rather than true cashback.

EDIT: In the light of some comments above,conditions also state that:
    e-bay purchases are not eligible (even if they are new items)
    Amazon UK purchase claims are eligible if purchased directly from Amazon.co.uk, and not from Amazon marketplace

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014