1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon Z9 announced

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Mar 10, 2021.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

2. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Should be a bit cheaper than a Track and Trace system, but by how much? :D

Zou likes this.
  3. AndyTake2

Not a lot, I'd guess!

RogerMac and DaveM399 like this.
  4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I suppose it will be slightly more expensive than a Sony alpha 1. Say around £7000.
    There is going to be a big gap in the range between the Z7 ll and Z9.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Which can be filled with a Z8!

It certainly isn't a contender for the best looking camera ever produced. Somehow I can't see many new DSLR cameras will be announced now. They'd far rather flog the costly Z series lenses.

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I do find it somewhat puzzling that these new mirrorless cameras are still styled to look like DSLRs.

Time for some brave manufacture to move the styling forward, perhaps?
    ... and will the Z9 be renamed/renumbered for Germany? Z Nein !

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I don't. Go back 20 years, and remember the somewhat bizarre shapes manufacturers were adopting for digital cameras now they weren't constrained by having to fit a film in. None of them really stood the test of time, because they really were to a large extent ergonomic disasters. Now you don't need a prism hump as such, but an EVF does take up space, and having it clear of the body allows more ability to access other controls, and also makes it easier for two-eyed shooters. Fundamentally, it's a design that works, and nobody yet has found a better one.

8. Learning

The D500, of which I have two, the D850 of which I have none, and the D5,and D6 which are far out of my ambitions are still a great family of Nikon DSLRs.
    I will not upgrade to a Nikon Z9. I will not downgrade to a Z7 or 6.
    No problem to me. but it is a problem to Nikon. Nikon needs to fill the gap between Z7 ll an Z9 if they want to survive. Nikon make great DSLRS, the best. They need to do far more to persuade uses of the D850 and D500 to move to Z.
    Their D500 and D 850 are simply too good.
    Of course after several years my feeling of wanting to buy something new is growing. Nothing from Nikon, Canon, or Sony comes close to parting me from my pandemic savings. I bought a new car for around £20K a year ago, but I am not stinking rich. I have a nice budget for photographic toys. No provider of such toys presently comes close to winning my custom.

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am not convinced that the situation is any better with Canon. For the .moment I am sticking with DSLRs. Plus an Olympus for pocketable

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Learning likes this.
  10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Z8 would appear to be vacant.

11. Learning

Yes very vacant
    I have a Sony RX100 M3 with a stuck on finger grip plus a pair of D500 and a little used D800. I don't need anything more. I have much more than I need.
    However I am a bit like a little kid in that I like nice new toys. Unlike a little kid I can afford some new toys.
    Nikon is not tempting me to even spend a single penny on their products.
    That is not just a silly glib bad joke.
    Obviously I don't know what a Z8 would be like; it doesn't exist. I accept that there will never be a mirrorless equivalent of the D500. Every D850 has a D500 hidden within it. The Z8 should be that missing link to replace the D850. If I lost, or had stolen, all my kit then Nikon would not see a single penny. of the cash to get me photographing again. I would buy a second hand stopgap D850 and some lenses. Its not that the Z7 ii is bad. It certainly isn't.
    Its not better than what I have.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I looked at and handled the Z6 & Z7 soon after launch and I simply did not like them, so there is no temptation there whatsoever. I have a D610 and aside of anything else the cost of moving to a Z6 would simply not be worthwhile, the D610 has taken a handful of shots over the past 15 months due to lockdowns and illness. I don't believe the quality gain would be sufficient or indeed tangible, the digital cameras I use most are Fujifilm CSCs, cameras which I find much more pleasant than the Z series.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What I would say about the Z6 and Z7 is that they have superior viewfinders to Fuji, in the sense that I can actually use them and they don't give me vertigo. Fuji's look nice, have great colour but make me very dizzy.

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I haven't suffered that issue with Fuji myself. The finders on the Z6/7 are probably superior in some respects.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Most people won't, it's linked to my balance disorder that is otherwise completely under control.

16. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I have a D800, a Panasonic LX100 for when I don’t want to carry full kit, and a disused D90. I’d like a better yet lighter body and lenses, and I’m very tempted by the Z 7II. I’d value its IBIS, greater resolution, ISO 64 and better dynamic range, more versatile and accurate autofocus and seamless switching between the viewfinder when hand-held and live view for use on a tripod. My main gripes with the Z 7II are:
    • The lack of a 10-pin connector, which means that, with a GPS and remote release such as my Solmeta plugged into the side of the camera, the connector and lead would foul a close-fitting “L” bracket for portrait mounting on a tripod.
    • The lack of a built-in flash. I understand this is to improve weatherproofing, which makes sense, but I don’t want to carry my bulky and weighty SB-910 Speedlight all the time in case I want a flash. Panasonic have an excellent alternative; my LX100 was supplied with a flash unit about the size of an ice cube, powered from the camera battery. For me, a Nikon-compatible equivalent would be the perfect complement for any body without a built-in flash.
    • The Z 7II seems to have fewer display options than my LX100. I’d like to have an artificial horizon that interferes with the view as little as that on my D800, with the option of displaying a histogram with whatever other display settings I chose.
    The 10-pin connector is the only one of these that needs a different body (Z 8?) to the Z 7II, and I’d be reluctant to pay a price much closer to what seems likely for the Z 9 just for that connector; the Z 7II is already considerably more expensive than my D800 was. Also, a “higher” model might well be heavier - that seems inevitable for the Z 9 with it’s portrait mode grip.

Chris

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago I was persuaded to don a VR headset, I suffered a horrendous optical migraine and vomited. Never again!

18. AndyTake2

I think there are a few things that must be addressed with this - firstly a decent dioptre adjustment. Focusing on something so close is a biological PITA.
    Second is resolution. Regardless of what people think, the eye can perceive way more lines and dots than those offered on many cameras.
    Third is frame rate (or refresh rate) - it really needs to be 120hz or higher. although 30FPS is enough to fool the eye into seeing motion, we can see way beyond this (think of a flashgun going off, set to 1/16000 second - we can still see it!)
    Fourth is global shutter (or whatever the equivalent is in output) - it is very easy to see interlaced and progressive scans close up.

We ain't there yet, but I'm sure we will be.