1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon ViewNX-i Red Box

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Nikon_Peter, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Nikon_Peter

Nikon_Peter Well-Known Member

Morning. I've just started using Nikon's ViewNX-i for my image organising and cataloging, having previously just used Windows File Explorer and toing-and-froing the images there. With the software I've noticed some images will have a small red rectangle placed on part of the image, but this doesn't occur on all images. Indeed it doesn't occur on all images in a sequence of shots. Nor is the red box in the same place when it does appear.

While I have a pdf copy of the manual for the software I can't seem to find any reference to this. What is the purpose of this red box?

Thanks

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know the software but it is not uncommon to see flags (only from inside the software) denoting information about changes to the image - whether it has been edited, had meta-data added, been cropped, rated etc.

edit: also, if turned on, areas that are close to max white are often coloured red, and those close to full black coloured blue. It would be unlikely to be a rectangle though unless there is something white in the frame.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Does it denote the point of focus?

https://nikonimglib.com/nvnxi/onlinehelp/en/nk018000.html

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  6. Nikon_Peter

Nikon_Peter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Tony, it is the focus point :). Just clicked on the button in the software and low-and-behold the red box has gone :D

Well that's me feeling like a complete muppet :confused:.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

A feeling familiar to any who has been near anything technological I suspect...:rolleyes: