1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon...? PAH........!!!

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Blad_the_paler, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Halley5

Halley5 Member

I went to Antarctica for 18 months. I took a digi, a Canon EOS (with 3 lenses) and a back up Nikon FM2n with a 35-105 mm lens.

The Nikon won me round. It barly used its battery (only there for the light metre), it work every time is some nasty conditions. My Canon suffered all the time, especially battery life. And don't bet me started with the digi!!

I came home with a good understanding of the dark room, and I love going into one even now. I spend my day in front of a computer, so do not want to spend too much of my free time in front of one (he says banging this into a PC!!!).

It is a shame Nikon are pulling out, but as has been said a million times already.... check out ebay.... given that almost every nikon lense fits alsmost every nikon body, and the number made was HUGE... the choise is almost bewildering.

Nikon can't be blamed. They are not some small esoteric compay like Leica, they are a multinational with shareholders.

My concern is not equipment, that will always be around.... its film. Thank good Ilford was saved and Fuji still seem to care. Once film is in the 6 pound area its starts to become am expensive hobby.

Keep these guys going...

PS I now have 3 Nikon bodies and 5 lenses!! (of course I kept the Canon!! I think I might be a horder!!)

2. Knockmore

Knockmore Well-Known Member

By all means switch to Canon. If you feel that Nikon no longer cater for your needs, go somewhere else. That's how the market works. But don't blame Nikon for trying to stay in business. I rather think their loyalties lie with their shareholders and thousands of employees rather than you.

Mark

3. Blad_the_paler

Blad_the_paler Well-Known Member

I agree, I agree and I agree...!!!

I adore Nikon's AIS lenses because they smack of true quality which I personally think is a rarity in these days of polycarbonate heaven (or hell)...!!! I adore Carl Zeiss's lenses for the Hasselblad for the same reason, they are amazing quality but, I understand that corporate giants have to keep shareholders happy ALL of the time and not just some of time. If they don't, they lose investment and, ultimately, go out of business. Does that make it better for me...??? No...! It doesn't.

I have been in the public sector dealing with camera sales and I don't like it when some bloke off the street asks you if this camera is good. What am I supposed to say...? Well, actually it's crap and it cost this supermarket three quid fifty but it's digital so it has to be the best...??? By the way, I'll take seventy quid for it. I really feel this digital concept is just a fad, just a trend and when it's all died down people will realise that silver is the basis of the best imaging system ever invented. Have YOU seen the increase in sales of vinyl records in the last year...??? What is happening to our consumer World...? Oh how we flock to have the latest gadget that, of course, has to be digital cozz it's the best, isn't it...??? I'm just so pissed off (am I allowed to say that) with Nikon for selling out to that fad and that gadget. Yes I am lucky enough to own a full Blad system but I like 35mm for being SO flexible. I adore it for allowing me to take images I couldn't even dream of with medium format. Long live real imaging and the true fine art qualities, now then, I fancy an 85mm f1.8....................

4. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Sorry. Digital is here to stay. And although vinyl sales have increased, they're still only niche quantities. Vinyl will never trouble the charts in any considerable way again.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think it's a very good parallel, actually - mirrors exactly what I'm suggesting will happen. A good, solid niche for film.

6. Hotblack

I agree. There will always be a place for film.

7. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

That's right - in my cameras!!! :D :D :D :D :D

8. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Niche maybe, though its a pretty large niche to be sure. The last White Stripes single made the top ten on vinyl sales alone, as it wasn't issued on CD. The Arctic Monkeys sell more singles on vinyl than on Costly Disc from what I've read.

9. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Vinyl rocks!!! I try to buy albums on vinyl as well as CD. Well I haven't got a turntable in the car!

The Arctic Monkeys are just a Buzzcocks tribute band. White Stripes aren't bad though. :)

10. Hotblack

True. And thanks for reminding me about those two. Selective memory I think it's called. I do still think that these are exceptions rahter than the rule.....but time will tell.

11. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Que? The two don't sound anything like each other. :D

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

In the interests of fairness I think you should remember that an AF Nikon equivalent would have struggled just as much battery wise - it's a fact of chemistry I'm afraid; the rates of reaction required to generate the electricity by the battery's chemicals are significantly slowed at low temperatures.

I remember that years ago Nikon used to do a belt mounted battery unit for use with their motordriven cameras in low temperatures... I believe similar battery packs are available for many current pro cameras as well...

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A brace of FNn2 with AF lenses would probably be the most reliable combination you could have for cold places. For a trip of a lifetime I would get them serviced by Nikon and make clear what I was going to do with them. Both are capable of being dry lubricated, so no viscous oil or lens grease to freeze. And as you have mentioned the battery is only needed for the meter. You could also take selenium meters like the Weston Master V. For normal use I am a digital convert and use a D200.