1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon Gurus - Upgrade Help Please!

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Dudds, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Dudds

Dudds Member

Hi. I've been using a Nikon F65 for the past three years and have been getting some great quality results (28-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 Sigmas have clearly helped!). Most of the use has been for travel.

However, I have noticed that other cameras I've borrowed (Canons) have handled continous focus-tracking and some metering aspects better.

I'm planning on upgrading to either the F80 or F100 (at a push - cost is still scary). I don't fancy the move to digital as, although I work in the IT world, there's still too much computer based work with digital for my liking.

My question to experts out there is: For general travel / all round use, what significant advantages would the F100 give over the F80?

Thanks in advance.

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

The F100 has a better autofocus module, so should be better in that regard. I don't think the F80 is a slouch though.

Nikon's blurb on these can be found at: F80, and F100.

You don't say if this purchase will be new or s/h, but if you can run to a used F5, it would be a significant step-up in many ways over the F100 (though there are a few areas in which the 100 is better, but that's simply because its a later model).

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

With the F65 you have a built in flash, the F100 and F5 don't have that but the F80 does. Personally I don't rate built in flash on an SLR but it is one consideration.

4. 0

0 Guest

My F80 doesn't. Have I been swindled? :D

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The F80 brochure say different. There is definately a built in flash see page 30 of the instruction book.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Swindled? Hell no - the world's only F80 without a built-in flash must be worth a fortune to a collector! :D

7. 0

0 Guest

Mea culpa. Apologies for the misinformation - I guess if you never use something you kinda forget you've got it - it worked with my memory, certainly! :eek:

8. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Does the flash not popup automaticly in low light to AF assist?

9. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Only if you have it set to auto!

10. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Is that in adition to the AF asist light? (I hae now looked at an F80 body) WOW, I want one!

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The AF assist light works independently of the pop-up flash and will activate in all modes when light levels are low. The flash will only pop up automatically in the automatic modes (except landscape and, IIRC, sport modes).

In any of the PASM modes the flash can be activated at any time by pressing the little button with the flash symbol which is located near the flash head mounting.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As far as I know the F80 flash will NEVER pop up automatically. You must extend the flash manually. The AF assist light is not part of the flash but is on the front between the lens mount and the grip.

Quote from the F80 manual

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I was forgetting the F80 only has the PASM modes.............. silly me............. :eek:

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nigel, when did you last use your F80? Or do you, like me, only use one mode, in my case Aperture Priority, and thus forget what else the camera can do?