1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D7200 soft image problem

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Garry Shepperd, Sep 2, 2021.

1. I hope someone can help. My D7200 keeps taking very soft images, all of a sudden. I haven't changed any settings that I know of. I have used Nikon for the last 15 years and have never had a problem until I bought this model. I have tried three differant lens and the result is always the same even at optimal settings. The camera does seem to focus okay but the images just aren't sharp and it's driving me crazy. Someone suggested they look like bad camera phone images and I agree. Any help would be very much appreciated. I have attached two images. One before the problem occured and one from a wedding I did last week

Attached Files:

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

There's only one image attached. The bee shot looks sharp enough to me, a bit overexposed maybe, but sharp and in focus. Going by the out of focus background, I'm guessing you used a fairly wide aperture. What are the settings for the shot?

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

^
    Same here, the bee looks sharp enough to me.
    OP: Have you viewed them only on one monitor, maybe that is the problem and not the camera?

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I agree, I'd be happy with the sharpness of that.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Check that no-one has been playing with the micro-focus adjust, assuming that the camera has got it. If the problem has just occurred and is with all lenses then maybe the camera got a bad knock somewhere along the line. You can test the focus explicitly by putting something with a lot of detail against a wall (like a newspaper). The other main cause of softness is camera movement or subject movement if the exposure time is long.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

We can't see the wedding shot, which I guess is the soft image. It would be more useful to give us two images of similar content though, when you do get around to uploading two images.

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the shot of the bee .
    If it looks soft to you , the issue is with what your viewing it on , not the camera or lens .
    Either your screens up the wall or a trip to the opticians in order !
    ( The latters usually where I go first ! ;) )

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Without the second, problem, image we really can’t help. Please repost an example of the problem.

neilt3 and EightBitTony like this.
  9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Can you confirm if the bee image from a different camera or the D7200?

10. PeteRob

He clearly said it is from the D7200 before "the problem" occurred, then omitted to post the wedding shot that is unsharp. Sounds to me that either the camera has been dropped or little fingers have been at work on the settings. Garry hasn't been online since he made the post.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Many sharpness issues are simply camera shake.

12. PeteRob

Yes, but with 15 years of experience you'd think poor technique would not be a cause along with simple things like turning image stabilisation off, or turning off AF with the shutter release and then forgetting - which I did once on a 5D.

13. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Until the OP comes back and posts a sample shot it's anyone's guess .
    But if the bee was taken with the 7200 , then it was working fine at least till then .
    He also doesn't say he dropped the lens or camera , but without more information ....

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

@Garry Shepperd - unless you give us more info, we'll never be able to help! (In case you've got notifications turned on)

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Camera shake is something we tend to shy away from as a cause of unsharpness.

RogerMac likes this.
  16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Unfortunate I am am away for a few days and only have a kindle with me but perhaps somebody on a real computer could look at the exif and let us know the settings including th camera it was taken on?

17. PeteRob

Pointless without the unsharp image

GeoffR likes this.
  18. Apologies for the delay in posting the 'soft' wedding photo. The file was too big to upload. Anyway, I'm sure you can clearly see
    how poor it is and all the others were similar. This was taken in good light. Tripod mounted 1/160 @ f7 iso100

Attached Files:

19. Uploaded the soft image now. Sorry, it was too large a file when I tried this morning.

20. Uploaded the soft image now. Sorry, it was too large a file when I tried this morning.