1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D5300 vs Canon 700D

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by charls, Apr 6, 2014.

1. charls

charls Member

(I don't intend for this to be a Nikon/Canon debate, I just want to know which camera people think will suit me best, and hear the good/bad points from people who own them).

I'm upgrading from a bridge camera, and looking to get a DSLR. I have about £700 to spend. I've narrowed it down to the Nikon D5300 and the Canon 700D

I will use it for landscape, flower, and macro photography. I need the articulated screen, otherwise I'd be tempted to spend more and get the D7100. The touchscreen on the Canon bothers me in that I'd rather use the buttons for fear of getting the screen dirty. I've heard the Nikon is slow to focus in live view- is this what people have found? I mainly use live view as I find it easier. Is this difference in pixel count a problem (Canon-18mp/Nikon-24mp)? Does this mean the Canon's images are of worse quality?

Thanks

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

If it is life view you want the the eos70D would be the camera for you. It is by far the best Live view DSLR at the moment, apat from that it is a great camera as well.

As for your question, we can't tell you wich one is better for you. Both will do a great job and have there advantages over the other but at the end of the day you need to try them hold, test and play around with them. The one that feels right is the one to go for, go for a camera that you enjoy, gives confidence and one that you will actualy take out with you.

one could argue that the lower pixel count would be better as the pixels are bigger, but truth to be told at this level the differense is hardly noticable if at all. Another thing to consider is that this 18mpix sensor is probably one of Canons best APS-C sensors.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

What suits you best is only known to you!

I wouldn't worry about the screen getting dirty - the screen gets a face wiped all over it every time the camera is used properly. I can't say I have used Live-View but I tend only to use the LCD for menu purposes anyway. A right angled finder is also an option for low-level work.

To make an A3 print 12 MP is enough.

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

The one one that feels most comfortable to YOU, in YOUR hands, and has the best placement of controls for YOUR fingers, and the menu system that seems most intuitive to YOUR way of thinking. So get along to a camera shop and try them.

All the camera makers produce models at various levels that are pretty good, and while one particular camera might be slightly better at one particular shot, another one will probably have a slight advantage in the next shot you want to take.

But overall, the only thing that really makes a significant difference, is how comfortable it is for YOU. The detailed questions you ask are useful to consider, but less significant in practice - though the articulated screen probably comes into the "more comfortable to hold" category, at least for some low level macro shots! :)

5. charls

charls Member

Thanks everyone. I'm now agonising over 700D vs 70D. I don't know whether I can justify paying the extra £230. Is the image quality of the 70D significantly better? What exactly am I going to get for the extra money?

6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Much better AF, higher pixel count, working AF in life view, faster bust rate, faster prosessor, second LCD, control wheel to name few things.

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

But to be honest is how important is live view to you. You said in your original post that could be a deal breaker on the Nikon. If it is one of your main requairments then the 70D is on a different level, the new sensor is just so much better in live view than the older sensor in the 700D.

8. charls

charls Member

I work in live view most of the time, as I find it easier, especially with manual focus. My worry is- do I do enough photography to justify £1150 of camera (with 18-135mm lens). Or is the 700D (for £730) a 'good enough' camera for someone who will use it a lot on holidays, but will use it a few times a week at other times. I also don't think I will be able to afford expensive lenses, so even if I do get the 70D, I'll be limiting myself with budget lenses, and might as well get the 700D anyway?

9. paulh6

paulh6 New Member

Hi charls

I was wondering what you purchased in the end, 700d or 70d (if either) and what you think of it? I'm now at a similar point wondering whether to spend the extra on the 70d, justifying the extra cost over the 700d. I know it is a better camera and I'd like to avoid buying something cheaper (although not cheap!) then want to upgrade too soon. I'm moving on from a Fuji HS30EXR bridge camera so whilst I'm used to manual controls, this would be my first DSLR.

10. gixerboyblue

gixerboyblue Member

I'm just a beginner but read a lot about how important is the lens so you might be better of getting cheaper body (700d) and spend the rest of money on more expensive lens instead of getting 70D with standard lens. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

11. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

I agree with your main point that, broadly speaking, it is the lens that defines the image quality but the body defines most of the funtionality. When I bought my first DSLR I chose the Canon 30D over the 350D because I preferred the bigger body, the use of twin dials instead of buttons and menus for common functions and the AF was quicker.