1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D5300 Tripod, suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Ethanace, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Ethanace

Ethanace Member

Hi everyone,

I'm still a huge photographer newbie! So I don't know what tripods my D5300 will fit in...

I've been scouring the interwebs and have decided I'd rather go for a tripod that's a bit more heavy-duty that I can 'trust' my camera to be in without it collapsing, toppling over, etc, even with a heavy 300m lens attached.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good tripods/brands and price range I'm looking at to get such a product? Would I be able to get a decent tripod for under £50 or is this unreasonable?

P.S - Is there a certain kind of tripod socket/bracket I need to be looking for that guarantees compatibility with the D5300? Just for reference so I can do a bit more shopping around for myself!

Please help!

Much appreciated

Thanks for the answers guys

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Yes very unreasonable unless you are extremely lucky or buy second hand or off the back of a lorry..!!

Luckily tripods are one of the few photographic accessories which are pretty much universal. The screw socket on the bottom of the camera and matching screw on the tridod are the same thread on all cameras and tripods.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

4. Learning

A further thought. If you are use a tripod that allows the camera to vibrate slightly when you make a shot then for static subjects you can set a 1 second delay to occur between releasing the mirror and taking the picture. (d5 in the custom settings menu). Remember to reset this for normal use. In the past we have had people in the help forum who had set this delay and couldn't remember how to get rid of it. Also you can use remote release, either by a cable or by ML-3.

5. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Forget £50. Redsnapper.

6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Yes £50 will probably get you a tripod you won't use so saving upp a bit more would be a very good idea.

There are many exelent brands and model that have low weight, stability, cheap price, but usualy you need to chose two out of three.
    There are somepretty good ones around the £100, many here have used and been very happy with Red Snapper, ther is for example an intrestin deal for a tripod an head that can hold 5kg of gear but is still under 2kg itself, might be worth a better look http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RSF-284___RSH-61_Ball_Head.html#nogo

7. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Buy cheap, buy twice [or even thrice.]
    There will be many suggestions regarding make and model, so a wee bonus thing to remember, is that it can be a major convenience having a Quick Release plate for mounting/unmounting your camera onto the tripod. This can be a real timesaver when setting up for a shoot.Look for this feature in your tripod "shortlist" Hope this info is helpful to you.

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

BTDTGTTS

I first got a cheapo £30 Jessops own brand, and found it went all dropy after a month. I then splashed out £80 on a Velbon Sherpa 600R, which is adequate, if a bit heavy for carrying very far. I would say that was pretty much the minimum to spend on something worth getting.

Seconded. The Sherpa has a QR plate for its integral 3-way head, and it's very helpful.

9. Ethanace

Ethanace Member

10. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Well for me this one would not be my choice as I am no fan of three way heads (personal opinion and many people prefer them). Looks desent enough but it is heavier, over 2kg and these tend to be left at home (atleast I don't like to carry over 2kg tripod). Second potential problem is that the head is made for max 3kg load while they give the ball head 5kg.

11. Learning

The AP that arrived this morning, on magazine stalls next mid week includes a review of a modestly priced Manfrotto kit of tripod and head. The unusual bit of the review was the award of 5 stars.

£300 really is a modest list price for a very good tripod and head. Just look what you could pay for a Gitzo.

12. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I bought a Redsnapper tripod and separate Redsnapper ballhead off eBay for less than £100 and have been well happy with it. Solid and a great head which is easy to control and very will built.

13. Bas1980

Bas1980 Member

You get what you pay for really I think. You'll need something sturdy to keep stability with that lens.

Ebay the place to go

14. Ethanace

Ethanace Member

Many thanks for your help, I have purchased the Redsnapper Tripod that you recommended, hopefully it should arrive this week!

15. mediaman

Enjoy !

16. Jody

Jody New Member

Hi, Sorry to hijack this post.
    My boyfriend is an amateur photographer has a nikon D5300 with a normal and big lens ( I think 18-300mm) and i want to buy him a tripod with quick release (as i learnt from this thread). I really don't want to stuff this up since i have no idea about photography at all.
    I'd prefer not to go above $200 but i want to go with something that will last.

Could you kindly help me out? I want to surprise him with something he would be happy with and not feel like i forgot some special feature.

I found this https://www.amazon.com/Accessory-Digital-Shutter-Release-BackPack/dp/B0047PC3G8 but am not sure if it's any good at that price.

Also, Is the Redsnapper Tripod still the best option? are there different models?

Thanks so much for your help!!

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Although the post is 2 years old the main points are still valid. I'd suggest to talk to him about it, even if it spoils the surprise a little bit, to get the right tripod for him - which may not be the right triood for someone else. Forget that link. You will be nearer your $200 to get a good quality model that will last a lifetime.

18. Jody

Jody New Member

Hi PeteRob,

I've tried talking with him as i am of the same thought as you:better ruin some of the surprize but get something he really wants then to be surprized with an underwhelming gift.
    Unfortunately, he won't collaborate since he says i never give him any surprises.

He doesn't use his camera for anything specific. but has it as a hobby. so maybe a bit of an all rounder? the most use it would get is at our niece's school concerts and sometimes when we go for a walk in the countryside. or maybe for a one off timelapse of the sunrise??? that kind of stuff.

Hope someone can help out. I'mm utterly hopeless when it comes to tech.

I've looked up Gitzo, Red Snapper, Hama, Manfrotto, and only feel more overwhelmed and confused then i was before.

Thanks!

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sounds like a tripod won't find much use. Try a flash gun.

20. mediaman

Why not a monopod then, fully extended, it can be used also as a walking pole, or, how I use mine most of the time, as a walking stick.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.