1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon d3200 or Canon eos 600d?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by toodle, Jun 17, 2012.

1. toodle

toodle New Member

I'm buying my first DSLR! I'm upgrading from an old Lumix bridge, which has served me well. The only brands I'm seriously considering are Canon and Nikon. Comparing technical specs is only useful for me up to a point, as I am a complete novice, so I need a camera that will take me through the learning process.

I've been dithering about camera models for ages, but if I make a decision in the next couple of days, I will get a pretty big family discount on whatever I buy. The eos 600d is a good deal at the moment, and I like the feel of it, but the 3200d has just arrived at the same price, and I'm feeling a bit seduced by megapixels. :D

I don't care about HD video and wifi and whatever else, I want good IQ and features that will help me take better photos, with more scope for creativity than I have now. I would also like to be able to print poster-size. (I've had surprisingly good results with large prints from an 8MP compact sensor, so maybe there isn't much difference between the two cameras I'm comparing now.)

I'm going to the shop for a hands-on trial and side by side comparison before I buy, but I don't have much time to think about it if I want to take advantage of a 20% discount!

Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I think the 3200 is more of an enterylevel camera compared to the 600D, but yes it is newer so it might be intresting to check them side by side. Another option would be the 5100 it is a great camera.
    But at the end of the day it is all about what feels right, the feel of the camera while holding it, the layout of the menus. Personaly i took the 600D as it fealt and looked right while I did not like the feel of the Nikons but you will find that there are people here that will tell you the exact same reasons for why they chose there Nikon.

3. Sculptor48

Sculptor48 Active Member

considering the price difference i say its a no brainer to go for the 600d which is a very good camera, to be fair the new 650d is more comparable price wise with the d3200 unless you buy it with the new 18-135 stm lens then its silly expensive about £1,000.

4. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

600d No brainer? The D3200 outperforms the 600d in just about every way, but at the end of the day its not all about fact and figures you need to go and have a feel of the two and decide then.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/801|0/%28brand%29/Nikon/%28appareil2%29/692|0/%28brand2%29/Canon

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

6. Sculptor48

Sculptor48 Active Member

7. toodle

toodle New Member

I know they are both good cameras, and the price difference isn't huge, I could stretch my budget to the d3200 no bother. I guess my worry is that I'm investing in a camera that I expect to keep for a while. I don't want to find myself regretting it a year down the line when I'm more clued up on what features I should have looked for in the first place. :)

8. Sculptor48

Sculptor48 Active Member

Well if price is not an issue then its probably best to try a few different cameras out in your price range and see which one you like the best. the 600d will still be good for a fair few years to come as will the 3200d the most upto date canon with the latest tech will be the 650d, just an opinion.

9. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

If your overall aim is image quality and you're not interested in toys like video, you're better off considering used items. You'll get an equally reliable unit with greater IQ than an entry-level body new. Its not all about the latest sensor or processor. Sensors provide a different look similar to the different looks achieved by different film, new isn't always best. Think about the 5D1, the 50D or an older 1series like the 1D2. they're built like tanks and usually come with 6month guarantees.

10. saeen

saeen New Member

Hi there,
    I am getting into DSLR's now and haven't bought a DSLR yet. Lot of comments I see on internet they say Nikon has better quality. Pardon my opinion but I think picture are not clear at Nikon D3200. Please see the images. Anybody want to guide on deciding between 600D or D3200?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please tell your opinion about overall picture quality and 100% zoomed one. Attached images are 100% zoomed, which I think more mega pixel means greater loss of quality.

11. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

See my post #8 in this thread; http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?99589-Beginner-after-DSLR-advice

12. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

13. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Those linked pics though, the D3200 samples do look soft to the point they don't look properly focused.

Where did they originate from?

14. saeen

saeen New Member

From dpreview.com :)

15. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

I'd go for the D3200 every time....but only because my collection of Nikon lenses would not fit on the Canon!
    Go and have a play. Don't be seduced by the promise of mp in isolation- there's far more to a great camera than mp (though with what they are able to do with the ISO and noise handling of pixel-dense sensors nowadays, we are increasingly able to have our cake AND eat it!)
    Pretty much every DSLR in either Canon or Nikon's range will not disappoint image-wise. If you have no real preference (no set of F-mount lenses lurking in the corner), then go to a Jessops or some such, where you can get a hands-on go and fill up an SD card.
    The choice is then yours......

16. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

That surprises me and I find it difficult to believe that it's representative of the camera's ability, more the photographer's.

In this pic (big file, don't download on a modem) it's so detailed you can see the plaque on her teeth (near the gums, not that stain).

Or any of the other marques I'd suggest. It really is very difficult to buy a bad DSLR with the current crop of available cameras.

17. saeen

saeen New Member

I am going toward mp. It's just 60fps that's attracting me. I feel like 60fps is bonus to me. I am not toward videography though, only photos!

Here are the DSLR which I can afford and their prices in my local store.

Canon 550D 18-55 - US$ 720 (I saw alot of comments that is a better camcorder, not that good at photos!)

Canon 600D 18-55 - US$ 813

Nikon D3200 Kit 18-55 - US$ 760

Nikon D3100 Kit 18-55 - US$ 573
    Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro - US$ 160

= US$ 733

Which one will be best buy among these 4?

18. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Fair point - I didn't mean to exclude - just referring to the OP's chosen two.
    You are quite right - a bit like cars. Difficult to buy a truly bad car nowadays.....

.....oh, apart from maybe a Perodua.........SsangYong.........Dacia....?

Perhaps a different analogy is required...?
    :eek:

19. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

D3200 (I think I've declared my bias) is looking good value here....
    The reason I chose Nikon originally wasn't down to any one feature over the Canon I compared it to at the time - It was because it felt better in the hand. The buttons and dials made more sense to me and the build quality was better. That was 20 years ago.....

20. saeen

saeen New Member

I'll arrive in store next week. I'll grab it.