1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D3200 or Canon EOS 600D?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by BlooBanana, May 29, 2013.

1. mshorthose

mshorthose New Member

Doesn't that last statement dictate the D3200 instead of the D3100?
    The 600D is still classed as a "mid range" camera whereas the D3200 is in the "beginners" category.
    It's a confusing issue which I think simply begs the question 'Is a Canon kit lens better than a Nikon kit lens?'
    I don't think there is any doubt that the Nikon is a better body, but if it is let down by optics and this can only be cured by purchasing expensive lenses which I cannot afford at present, I would go with better optics.

Unfortunately this can possibly only be answered by someone who has both which is an unlikely scenario.
    I was definitely erring towards the Canon.
    Thanks Tommy - back to square one! :)

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^The Nikon kit lens used to be far better than the Canon offering, but the latest IS Canon lens is said to be far better than the older variants. Having said that no basic 18-55 kit lens is wonderful, they give you it for very little money, so the build is flimsy and quality control a bit iffy. They can only be regarded as a get-you-started item.

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Nikon's kit lenses are probably the best in the industry; the 18-55 in both VR and older non-VR forms are highly capable. I have examples of both and although I have upgraded, it wasn't the optical quality of the kit lenses that made me do it.

4. mshorthose

mshorthose New Member

Thanks guys.
    Apparently Canon focus motors are in the lenses too - for all models.
    At least that means that all Canon AF lenses can be used on all Canon cameras I suppose.

Final question...
    The best prices around seem to be from a website called eGlobal Digital Store.
    The Nikon kit I was looking at is just £342.99 which is outstanding. I think they are Hong Kong based but the various reviews all seem to indicate perfect happiness with them as a supplier.
    Anyone had any bad experiences?

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Well all Canon lenses can be used on APS-C sensor size cameras but the EF-S lenses will not work on Full frame sensor cameras.
    All Canon DSLR are APS-C exept 5D, 6D and the 1D series.
    As for choosing camera body I think you need to try them out. when I bought my current camera I was in a position that I could take what ever I wanted, meaning I did not have any lenses, Flash guns aso to tie me to a brand. At the time and probably still is one of the best "advanced entry level" camera was the D5100 from Nikon. But even though I really wanted to like that camera it just did not feel right, so I took the direct competitor at the time the 600D from Canon witch I liked very much. On paper the D5100 looks better but in "person" it just was not my thing. At the same time I tried the 1100D and the D3100 but these two just felt tiny and flimsy (to me).
    I still really like the 600D so I cant say that I regret my choice at all.
    As for in body or in lens AF motor, personally I prefer to have the motor in the lens, two reasons if the motor brakes I can just take the lens of and pop on another and keep shooting, second reason I prefer internal focusing and I think (not checkt though) that to get this feature you need the motor in the lens.

Now buying grey, the thing is that if you buy a camera from Hong Kong the Importer will be in China. So any guaranty issues will be dealt with by Nikon/Canon China. So any problems you might have you will need to take up with them or if you need repair you need to send the camera to Hong Kong. I am not saying that that Nikon or Canon in china is any worse than Nikon or Canon in the UK they will probably give you all the same support and service but the problem is that they are over there but you and your camera are here.

6. johndow

johndow Well-Known Member

I own a canon 450D and really got into canon because the price when I got my 350D was better than the Nikon, no other reason. If you look on comparison sites like snapsort, the Nikons seem to have it in areas like Noise, image quality range etc. But others say it is so close that when printed like for like you won't be able to tell the difference. What may sway your choice is the Frames Per Second (fps) if your shooting sport, or resolution if you have a shorter lens and will crop a lot. I am not an expert in newer canon, and Snori may be able to confirm, but as far as I have read, the 18MP sensor in the 600D is the same as that used in the more expensive 60D and the 7D. Therefore the IQ of this lower end camera is pretty much exactly the same as a semi pro 7D at 3-4 times the price.

7. johndow

A note on Grey imports from my own experience. I have bought 4 lens from Onestop-Digital over the past 5 years and I cannot recommend them enough for customer service. The first three were canon lens and delivery etc was speedy and reliable. I didn't have any issues with these lens, so can't comment on warranty. The last purchase I made was a Tamron 17-50 non-VC. I was well aware of focusing issues with the Tamron and it took me a long time to decide to choose Onestop over a local (UK) supplier. However, Onestop now offer a 7(?) year MAK warranty which cost me £10 and is international and kicks in from 3 months on. I watched the local prices which kept rising so eventually ordered the lens with warranty for £40 less than the best price (amazon). Straight away I tested the lens for front/ back focusing issues against a chart and found a major problem (my three canons are spot on in a comparison). I contacted Onestop who said I could send the lens back and they would calibrate it, but if it was not outside tolerances then I would have to pay for the cost (which is reasonable), or they would send me out a replacement straight away. I had reservations about having the same issues with the replacement, so I suggested if I were to get it checked by tamron uk would they pay for it, which they agreed (based on a quote). I sent the lens and my camera to Tamron UK service centre, they quoted, then recalibrated the lens to my camera. I sent a copy of the receipt for postage and calibration to Onestop and they reimbursed my within 1-2 days. Also, every email I sent, weekday or weekend, to Onestop was replied to within hours (sometimes minutes). Service quality was excellent and my Tamron is tack sharp from 17-50mm at every aperture.

8. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Having just read the reaction of two press photographers who have just spent a year with a Canon EOS-1D X in one case, and a Nikon D4 in the other, I was reminded of this thread.

Neither photographer mentioned megapixels even once - or sharpness. They both were far more interested in Canon and Nikon's support for them if something went wrong, that the Canon was now true full frame so normal wideangle lenses could be used, build quality, and functions easily available by discreet buttons. The Canon is 18.2 Mp and the Nikon is 16.2 Mp - both are about £4500 body only.

This thread is wandering about in much the same way as previous threads in the same vein. Feeding off the paragraph above there perhaps needs to be only two stock answers in these cases :-

1. New starter or first upgrade candidates. "You are at liberty to spend your money in any way you wish. If this means following your inclination to source the greatest number of megapixels above all other attributes a camera can have, from any corner of the globe at a price that is unbelievably low, then this will not be discouraged."

2. Long term hobbyist - no answer necessary because they probably won't ask advice - but they may be kind enough to share the details of the purchase with us after the event,

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^ Maybe, but people agonise about purchases in areas they have little personal experience or knowledge of, and like some guidance or misguidance before committing money. It partly can depend on whether you buy things with your heart or your head, not just cameras, but any of our more interesting purchases. I doubt if there is anything like the agonising over a washing machine that there is over a camera, a car or a TV as examples. If you buy a car with your head you buy a diesel Golf, with your heart something that might be regarded as less sensible.

10. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

I know Nimbus - I too thought we could make a difference based on experience - but I really doubt that we can. Notice the most experienced forum members steer away from these threads.

Maybe I am just about to be come an Experienced Senior Member rather than just a Senior Member. :)

11. johndow

I think anyone with valid personal experience to share helps. It all goes to help the OP make an informed decision.

As for the most experienced members staying away, it could just b because they are not familiar with current low end/ entry level cameras and dont feelthey have anything to contribute. Although saying that, i found your post on the full frame comparison very good. It does put two fingers up to the mega pixel race.

How many MP does average joe need. I have 12 and thats loads. A bit like owning a supercar but only ever drving in the town.

Keep the advice/ opinions coming.

12. mshorthose

mshorthose New Member

Thanks for all the input guys.
    Order placed with eGlobal and the Canon 650 delivered within a couple of days from Hong Kong - superb!
    In the end there was an obvious choice having tried the D3200 and 600D in Currys. I don't have small hands and the Nikon shutter release was uncomfortable.
    Now setting to working out how to drive the thing!
    :)