1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D300 Screen Issue

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by photogeek, Aug 26, 2012.

1. photogeek

photogeek Well-Known Member

Wondered if anyone else had experienced this, whilst at Clacton Air Show on Thursday in bright sunshine I found that when I was reviewing images none of them looked clear, I took of protective plastic screen and gave that a clean, to no avail, and then cleaned glass screen as it looked like it was covered in wipe marks. But realised after a while that they were on the inside of the screen.

I pinged an e-mail to Nikon and the response I got back was that it may be due to moisture trapped in the camera (say when changeing lenses) that as it is weather sealed condenses on inside of screen.

They have suggested taking lens and body cap off, and sticking it in a sealed bag with some Silica Gel. Have not tried this yet as I can not find Silica Gel but will let you know if this works. Otherwise they have said to send it in to them to take a look.

Never had this with any other Nikon Cameras (D70, D80, Fuji S5 pro) so is this a downside to weather sealing.

Other than being anoying the camera works fine still, and when the sun is not so bright the screen looks fine, unless you look at it at the right angle with nothing displayed, and then you can see the marks are still there.

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Yep, others have. This (click me) is a thread from 2008 on another forum which also demonstrates the problem.

3. photogeek

Thanks for link, did you try putting in bag with Silica Gel, I will but am having a problem finding any. hate to think how many packs I have thrown out to stop children swallowing them, guess I have been very efficient at disposing of them.

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

5. photogeek

Thanks Atavar, yes was hoping to find a local retailer so I could try this quickly, but if I have no luck on Tuesday (after bank holiday) I will give S Day shop a go.

Can I ask if Nikon charged for this to be cleaned or was it done under warranty - only reason I ask is it look like a lot of people have had this issue - and the response from Nikon did not look as though they would charge me to resolve , even though long out of warranty, although not certain this is will be the case.

6. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Had same with mine from new. 4 years ago. Seems to me they weren't cleaned properly before fitting.

Nig.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  7. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Had it on my D300 too, but it was only very faint and I could only see it in a certain light, it looked like a smear of dust. It never bothered me, some people would not even see it! I bought the camera from new......

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have no idea if they fixed this free in or out of warranty. I'm supposing not as it's not been reported on any of the threads I can find. Best of luck getting it sorted :)

9. photogeek

Thanks for feed back, I had my D300 from new and had it for best part of 5 years, but only noticed problem this year. I first had at Southend Airshow (again bright sunshine, so I cleaned plastic screen and outside of LCD screen and adjusted brightness when I got home and it looked ok, it was only this time when I looked carefully during the day I could see marks on screen and checked at home. In normal light with the screen on it is not noticable, its only when you look in bright light that you see its effects. So given british weather I may have has issue for a while.

I will try with Silica Gel and if that does not work send off to Nikon :( but agree with everyone it looks as though it was not cleaned properly or the substance used to clean has left a residue which has become visable over time.

10. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with my 3 year old D300 but have only noticed it within the last couple of months and as I am a bit obsessive about keeping the LCD clean I suspect the marks have only recently appeared. Same symptoms, screen looks cloudy/smeary when not switched on but unnoticeable when viewing images. I can live with it until the camera goes back to Nikon for a service but annoying nonetheless.

11. photogeek

Just to say I found some Silica Gel - re-activated it in oven and put it in a sealed bad with d300 sans body cap and lens as per Nikons instructions over night. To my eyes about 70% of the screen that had marks on it is now clear, but the edges are still not great, but given it has had 5 years to build up moisture I will Re-activate the Gel tonight and try again to see if this sorts out the rest of the problem.

I guess the wipe marks are from the factory,but become visible when moisture forms between Glass and LCD

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Yes I saw this after a wet caving trip. It disappears with the plastic bag and silica gel trick but takes a few weeks. I suspect that moisture builds up slowly and probably all over the camera's innards but typically shows itself after a damp expedition. It's possible that the interior humidity is more serious than suggested by what we see. Perhaps we should store a camera in dehumidifying conditions as a matter of course.

13. photogeek

Well a week in a bag with some Silic Gel and its a lot better but not perfect. That said with Plastic protector on it looks fine as do images and menus with the screen on, so I will just live with it as its a better option than not having the camera. I will keep some silica gel in the camera bag from now on.