1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon Coolpix 990 worth...?

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Tom2, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Tom2

Tom2 Active Member

Hi

I've just noticed that Mifsuds have a Coolpix 990 Premium pack in for £339........I was just wondering really whether this is a good price for this camera?

The other thing that worries me it that it only has a six month guarantee, could that be a problem (they're not notoriously unreliable are they)?

I might order it anyway as I can take advantage of the 10 day return thing if i'm not happy....although i'm not really a nikon chappy...;o)....just musing to myself!

Cheers for the help
    Tom

Hmmmm, nikon 990 or casio 3500......and yes, I should be sound asleep by now!

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Nikon Coolpix 990 worth/ tom/rkilpin

" I've just noticed that Mifsuds have a Coolpix 990 Premium pack in for £339........I was just wondering really whether this is a good price for this camera?"

Hi Tom,

The short answer would be "YES", considering that the CoolPix 990 is (now)
    two(2) generations old with the arrival of the 4MP CoolPix 4500 digicam.
    Also, the CoolPix 995 have been dropping in price and I suspect that you
    might be able to snag one of them (CP995) for almost the same price as your
    used/refurbished CP990.
    You might want to get a comment from Robert (rkilpin=Jessops owner and frequent forum poster) as to the going price for the CP995 and the CP4500 just for some
    comparison pricing.

As for the Casio I would give it a miss. When the Camera companies start manu-
    facturing Watches, I will consider buying a camera made by a watch company/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

Also, if you already haven't, you might want to check out http://www.dpreview.com as it is strictly "digicam" oriented.

Hope this helps.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

not digital but film, so far, but digital is
    starting to seduce me.

3. rkilpin

rkilpin Well-Known Member

Re: Nikon Coolpix 990 worth/ tom/rkilpin

hi,
    i do belive that our new nikon will be a 5700.
    the nikon coolpix 990 is an old boy indeed, the 995 (also discontuned) sells at about £475-499.
    so yes it is a good price.
    if it is only comming with a 6 months g'tee, this could quite possibly be secondhand. (sorry if you have stated this allready, havent really read the post) as all new kit comes with 12months g'tee (i believe this is THE LAW!)

All this talk of cameras and gadgets confuses me
    http://www.kilpin.org.uk

4. rkilpin

rkilpin Well-Known Member

Re: Nikon Coolpix 990 worth/ tom/rkilpin

i like the comment jack
    rkilpin = jessops owner and frequent poster!

i wish i did own them, id give myself a decent wage if i did. bloody kosovans get more than me, with all their government payouts and working illegally and getting £200 a week.

All this talk of cameras and gadgets confuses me
    http://www.kilpin.org.uk

5. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

995's are now cheap!

I've seen New 995's at £449 basic kit. You should always try to insure your dc for at least 2 years. Should you sell it in a year, you'll get a bit more cuz of the warranty... beware! Dc's are expensive to repair...

Chris [​IMG]

6. daveproctor

daveproctor Member

I owned a 990 and was very happy with it. Image quality was excellent and the number of manual overrides are impressive even by todays standards. Only downside was that it didn't take microdrives although I guess it would have eaten batteries, speaking of which if you go for it get some rechargeable batteries (very cheap). Whether you should go for this or the newer 995 really comes down to budget. I don't think you would get much better for this price.

7. Tom2

Tom2 Active Member

Thanks for all the replys chaps :eek:) (i'll have to look up how to do smilies..)

I ordered it this afternoon, so should be here on wednesday and i'll see how it goes. The chaps at Mifsuds were very helpful, any problems or if I dont like it, just send it back and they'll do a refund, which is nice!

I know its getting on a bit but it still seems to be a rather good camera by all accounts. And after having a look at some sample photos it produces nice, sharp, pleasing to the eye piccys aswell (if a bit noisey @ iso 400)

So we'll see.....I'll get some piccys up on the net if I take anything worhtwhile!

Thanks again to all for the help and advice,
    Cheers
    Tom.