1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Nikon 50mm F1.8 D AF lens with D40x body

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by mikedepreston, Jun 15, 2007.

1. mikedepreston

mikedepreston Member

I'm thinking of buying one of these lenses and want to know more about it's compatibility with my D40x. I know that the Auto focus will not work with it and that the effective focal length would be about 77mm. I've RTFM and it appears fine on paper but would like some opinions from people who may have had hands-on experience of this lens or a similar type on a D40/40x. I have read about the metering going a bit funny on some of the older/non-AFS lenses so thought I'd ask the panel of experts before I lay down any money.

Thanks again!

2. Moos3h

Moos3h Well-Known Member

I've tried that lens on mine and it worked fine. If it wasn't for the agressive crop factor making it a little too telephoto for me, I'd have kept it!

Worked fine, no metering problems that I noted! Nice and sharp too...

Cheers,
    James

3. ben4321

ben4321 Active Member

Apart from the loss of autofocus it will work just fine - the metering should work perfectly with any lens fitted with a CPU, not just the D lenses, all AF lenses as well as the manual focus P lenses will provide matrix metering.
    I use a non-D version on my D70s and it gives me excellent results.
    The lack of autofocus might be a problem, depending on your style of photography. Then again, people managed just fine in the days of manual focus!

I do have a problem with the fact that the D40 won't focus with non AF-S lenses though, it seems to be a very cynical marketing ploy on Nikon's part. They were probably trying to stop people buying the off brand budget lenses like the excellent Tamron 55-200mm, but in so doing they've crippled the camera for those people who want to use a fast prime. With the exception of the exotic telephotos and the 105mm VR, the only prime lens that provides full compatibility is made by Sigma!
    You could argue that the camera is aimed at beginners who will probably be happy with the kit lenses, but a logical step for anyone wanting to progress with their photography is to extend their kit with a high quality fast prime - the main reason for the resurgence in popularity of the 50mm f1.8.
    I've read the reviews, and both the D40 and the D40x seem like great little cameras, but for anyone using prime lenses or wanting to use them in the future I can't see how anyone could recommend either model.

Cheers,
    Ben

4. scm

scm Well-Known Member

Are Ford and Vauxhall "cynical" because they have basic, entry-level, models in their car ranges? They may not suit a majority of the buying public, but if there's a demand (and I haven't heard that D40s are sitting on shelves, unwanted) surely it's sensible to satisfy that demand?

5. mikedepreston

mikedepreston Member

Thanks for the help on the 50mm prime :)

The reason I bought the D40x was partly because of it's limited feature set - having only used manual 35mm SLRs in the past and not wanting to be completely blinded by technology. I went for the 40x over the 40 because of the greater ISO range.

6. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Mike, get the 50mm f/1.8! 2nd hand if you can find one. Sooner or later, you'll probably upgrade to a body with the drive for the non-AFS lenses, then you'll have full AF with the 50mm. In the meantime, since you're from a manual background, MF won't be a problem for you - besides, the AF indicator will still light up when you get focussed even if the camera won't turn the ring for you.