1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikkormat FTN

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by AndyOx, Oct 14, 2009.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Stupid question, Nigel... Would forgetting to whip-whap leave the meter on my EL boucing up and down like a gigolo's bum, or is it just cream crackered? I've been working on the latter assumption and using an external meter for a while (and apparently EL meters do go like that in their dotage), so it's no matter if it doesn't, but I'm just curious.

Cheers,

Adrian

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I didn't encounter any problems with the meter itself - just under-exposure. Subsequent pictures taken with the lens mounted and registered properly were fine and I haven't enountered any issues with meter wobble as yet.

I do get needle kick on my FT3 so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the EL eventually goes the smae way. I doubt that forgetting to properly register the aperture range likely to damage the meter in either the short or long term, it's probably just old age that's responsible. Might also be worth checking the battery contacts for dirt or other poor contact causes.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Nigel. I might try the battery contacts as it's fine when it is working (it seems to be an on-off thing, it either works perfectly or not at all), just as a last resort. I like the Nikkormat, and it's very useful in the Lake District - I can use it as a chock to stop the car rolling away!

Adrian

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

If the lens has been AI'd, I guess it could be said the bunny has had its ears pierced.

5. jabali

jabali Member

Hi All,
    I am a new member from the SW of France in my 70s. Just to share with you on the relability of the Nikkormat series, In 1965 when my daughter was born, I bought a Nikkormat Ft and through the years even when I upgraded, I've always kept my Ft. I'm still using it and its meter is as accurate as the day I bought it. Regards
    Jabali

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Bonjour et Bienvenue! My OMs are not that old and the battery for the OM1 is no longer available. As I had to have the prism changed because the foam rubber strip had decayed, my repairer modified the metering system to take the new voltage PX625s. I'm still testing it but I think it's OK so far. It's only 35 years old this year! Quite young really compared to your FT. :) Think I'll go now and pat it on its head :D and smile at it!

Hope you enjoy these forums. Some of the posters here are extremely entertaining and most are a lot of fun! Navigating around the site can be heavy going and learning the tricks, more so. But hang in there!
    Au revoir!

7. jabali

jabali Member

Hi,
    Many thanks for your warm welcome, for my Ft I'm using the Varta V625U and it works fine, have taken B & W as well as colour rolls and photos turned out good. My local photo shop recommended these to me when my accumulated stock of mecury batteries ran out.

I'm glad I found AP again on the net, an interesting and informative site. I used to buy AP on a regular basis when I was working in SE Asia, the feeling is that I have found a lost friend again.
    Regards
    Jabali