1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Nikkor 500mm reflex lens

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by AdrianSadlier, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

All Canon AF-fit lenses come with an AF/MF switch, even third-party ones, as there's no control on the body - because all the lenses have motors, and there are no legacy bodies with motors.
    Well I say all - there have been literally one or two AF-only lenses that haven't had the switch, and there are a handful of manual focus only lenses, too.

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

But I'm not referring to a Canon-fit lens - none of my Pentax fit lenses have this switch because there is a focus on/off switch on the camera body near the lens mount. But none of my lenses is less than 8 or 10 years old, so perhaps now count as 'legacy' items.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Jesus wept, you're a bit hard of understanding at times....

I had the same lens in a different mount. And because it was Canon fit, it had an AF/MF switch, because no EOS bodies have one.

Pentax cameras have the focus on/off switch on the camera for largely legacy reasons - because their earliest AF cameras only had body-integral AF, rather than in-lens motors, and so there are a lot of legacy motorless lenses about that only work with the in-camera screw drive. It would be confusing to have switches on both lens and body - ask Nikon users... ;))

Clearer now?

4. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

That's because I'm being selective with what I post!. Its like the old John West ad "Its the fish that..............."

Roger Hicks and Learning like this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Indeed Nick, Nikon had to put the AF/M selector on the camera when they first produced AF cameras because it physically disengaged the drive, on those cameras that support AF and AF-D lenses it still does. Later lenses, with internal focusing motors have a switch on the lens, either control will switch AF off but both must be on to enable AF. Cameras that don't support AF with the mechanically driven lenses don't have the selector. Were it not for the provision of compatibility with early AF lenses the body selector could be discontinued. Equally they could have kept the selector on the body and not put a switch on the lenses. I have no idea why they decided go the way they did.

In practice it is really only a problem for those who want to use early AF lenses to focus manually, which is a fools errand anyway as they are loose, to reduce the motor power requirement, and have a very short focusing ring travel.

My cameras have the body selector at AF or AF S but I very rarely use my older AF-D lenses, and then never in MF, so it isn’t a problem.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019