1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NIK Collection

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Geren, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Remember yonks ago when you could get the Nik Collection (including Silver Efex etc) for free? Then someone bought it and all of a sudden you were asked to pay quids to 'upgrade'? I just wondered if anyone had done the upgrade as I'm now getting regular emails from them asking me to fork out even more money for various different versions of same. I really don't think I use the free stuff enough to want to pay for an upgrade but curiosity means I'd like to know if the upgrade is worth it or not.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I did look at the new version, decided it wasn’t worth the cost so I’ll keep on with the free version. It still works with PS 2021 and for what I use it for I am happy.

Geren likes this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Pretty much what I thought too. I only use it very occasionally for B&W conversions and if I'm feeling like a mad messing around session. Not worth forking out cash unless it was going to offer me something more than that.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Have you considered the 30 day free trial?

I only have the old version but really only used the noise reduction program. Even that I no longer use.

5. dream_police

Just seen on the website that Nik collection 3 is half price @ £65 at the moment.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Small risk there is that when you install the trial it overwrites the free version, and if you can't find / install the free version again you're stuffed.

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

The cynic in me thought that was a possibility and is why I haven't tried the trial! I might not use the free version for much but I don't want to lose it necessarily.

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. dream_police

I have the free version on a drive (for MAC) so if it all went wrong give me a shout.

9. Bazarchie

If you have the original download this should not be a problem.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I've just checked and I do still have the original download. Along with a load of photos from an ancient Nikon instant camera that I'd forgotten we ever owned. I'm hoping that most of them were taken by one of the kids and not me because there is a lot of utter guff on there!

EightBitTony likes this.
  11. Bazarchie

I believe you !

12. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

I bought the original version , used on Apple Macbook, but on upgrading to an I-Mac it would not work & no support from DxO, so purchased the new version at the introductory price. In silver effects it is easy to chose the style of conversion from the thumbnails, it is a bit clunky used with PS 6 though.