1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nights wind-down?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by taxor, Nov 5, 2007.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

How do you do it? That is, how, if you work nights, do you get your body clock back into daytime mode? Just finished a 7 night stretch and now I've got 7 days off, but I'm keen to pick up some ideas from seasoned nighters on how they re-adjust to days. Cheers, Taxable Taxonomy

2. quiteone

quiteone Well-Known Member

When I work nights I found that staying awake most of the day after finishing the last night was best.
    Stay awake as long as possible it's quite difficult at first but if its going to be regular thing then it becomes easier.During this time don't attempt to drive go for a walk keep active, don't watch TV daytime telly will makZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!! Sorry
    Down side to working shifts, I stopped working them 6 years ago, but every now and then I fall into the night shift mode which means I'm awake all night.

Gaz

3. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I worked nights (about 40 years ago) and found that the above advice worked for me.

MickLL

4. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

I loved working nights, but I agree, come 7am it's doubly tiring.

I tended not to have a problem as I think that working nights tires you out more, and I found that I could get up at 5pm in the evening, and then go back to bed around 1 or 2am and wake up at 9am. And then back into day mode.

I didn't overly worry about being in day mode anyway, all it is is scurrying people rushing about shopping and generally making a noise!!! Lol :D :D :D

5. Teddy

Teddy Well-Known Member

I work 12 hours shifts, both days and nights.

I just sleep when I need to and when I can. I often do only manage 3 or 4 hours sleep before a day shift and find myself having 40 winks at lunch, after a day like that I tend to get home (about 21:00) and go straight to bed.

As mentioned above, staying awake after a night shift helps & if I have a few beers later that day I get a really ‘high’ flotty feeling and life starts moving in slow motion or in a serious of snap shots; it’s great! Sleep deprivation and beer is amazing; my drug of choice! :D

Others I work with get 3 or 4 hours sleep straight after the last night getting up as early as possible so they are tired again that night. This never worked for me thou, making yourself get up when your dog tired and have no real reason too takes some discipline. ;)

7 nights on the spin is a long time thou, I try never to do more than 7 in a row. :)

Teddy

6. Teddy

Teddy Well-Known Member

And one other thing; always have your tipple of choice in the fridge! Looking rough & buying a 4 pack when everybody else if picking up the monring paper isn't good. :D :D :D

7. Towershot

Towershot Well-Known Member

I did them for around 30 years and found sleeping in the day ,with the kids playing in the street a problem. :(

On the nights at around 2 am to 3 am a bit of a low sugar point, so had a mars bar then, and it kicked me back into gear.......... ;)

8. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

When I was a student I did an experiment one term, staying awake 35 hours then sleeping 13 hours. Got used to it in the end, but preferred the other experiment, up 9 hours asleep 3. Either way fits night shifts better than trying to alternate days & nights.

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

now we have 24 hour binge drinking it probably is more acceptable...........
    personally I prefer advocaat on my weetabix - makes the mornings more interesting.............hic..hic.....shorry your my best mate and I love you...hic :D