1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,

Nature photography is hugely popular, and there is always something more to learn. We've got the best photographers in this fascinating genre to share their tips and advice on the gear and techniques needed for stand-out shots, and inspire us with their wonderful images.

Whether you’re a beginner or intermediate photographer, and whether you're into flowers, insects or animals, you'll learn something new in this issue of 'Improve Your Photography' – and come away with your creative batteries fully charged.

Simply enter your details to receive your downloadable copy of 'Improve Your Photography – Nature'.

3. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Dismiss Notice

Nick's Classic Corner - No. 8 - Rocca Montanus 35

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Benchista, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was first made aware of this camera by the late Paul Winter, a lover of oddities. "It's got a rose-tinted viewfinder, what's not to like?" he would say.

Eventually, I managed to get my hands on one for less than a couple of quid. They were a direct-vision compact 35mm camera made by Montanus Kamerafabrik in Solignen, West Germany between 1958 and 1961, and came in various versions with 3 and 4 element Enna lenses, and several different shutter types. Mine is an upmarket one (model 6, I believe), with a Prontor SVS shutter speeded from 1s to 1/300, and with the 4 element 45mm f2.8 Ennit lens, which focuses from 1m to infinity without any focus aids other than a distance scale. There is an imitation meter window - this could be replaced with the real thing, but this one hasn't been. The shutter and aperture setting are coupled in a Light Value system, so once you've decided what the correct exposure is, it's effectively locked to a range of shutter speed/aperture couples until you press the unlocking button. Also on the lens plate is a front-mounted shutter release, and the sync socket.
    Wind-on is via a lever on the rear of the camera, which feels a little flimsy (and sticks on return on my example), but it does the job..
    On the left of the topplate is the rewind knob and film speed/type reminder, on the right a dummy meter plate and meter knob, which all feels a bit odd.

On the bottom is a central tripod bush, on the right is the rewind release button and a framecounter.

The viewfinder, as well as being rose-tinted, has a very clear brightline frame.

It's reasonably solidly made, and although mine has some light corrosion to the topplate and accessory shoe, it works fine, and is capable of fairly decent results. It's not my favourite camera, but it is quite fun, and it reminds me of a lovely guy, which is quite a bonus.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Any chance of a photo?

And what's with the funny font? :confused:

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Working on it...

Cut and paste from the blog.