1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHS is short of money!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Sep 17, 2020.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

The title is fact but is this due to under funding or just pure wastage.

However consider this. In July this year I received an appointment to attend the dermatology department at the North Durham University hospital, for consultation about a skin condition this appointment was to happen on the 21st October 2020. The original GP's referral was from a visit to him in February this year and we all know what has happened between then and now.

Today 17th September I received a letter telling me the appointment had been cancelled and I would be advised later when a new appointment was available.

With that letter came a 2nd letter telling me exactly the same information, Both dated the 15th September.

With that letter came another telling me I had a new appointment on the 14th October 2020 at 2pm

With that letter came a 4th letter cancelling that appointment. The last 4 letters were all sent on the same day, 15th September 2020.

I rang them up asking what were they were playing at and made an obvious point indicating they were wasting money out the duplication which was costing them time to type, to print and to post The collection of sheets on single sided good quality A4 paper came to a total of 17 pages and 4 envelopes.

I was put on hold for a couple of minutes and when she came back I was told that I had a new appointment on the 14th October 2020. This was to be on the same day as the 3rd letter but 10 minutes later with the same consultant.

I am loosing the will to live, although my conditioning is not life threatening the inefficiency of the hospital most certainly is. Do they not check anything that may be duplicated - stupid me it is a Government organisation.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

well come January they will be owned by an American company, have a nice day...:rolleyes:

John Farrell likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The most I've had from our NHS provider is a letter to come for a BP check. I told them to stuff it!

4. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

One issue has been getting the protocols set up to make departments Covid safe in a medical sense, testing those procedures and risk assessing. These take time and they have taken a low priority in the grand scheme of things hospital wise with emergency covid care. To complicate issues, staff have been reallocated, shieled on covid safe areas if they underlying health issues. This and associated issues mean that appointments are reschedued, but when the time has come the department still isn't ready due to the mentioned issues. My hospital has ceased undertaking most surgical procedures and has a contract with a local private hospital to safeguard patients undergoing surgery. This in turn has caused issues with some surgical procedures since the private hospital has no intensive care. My wife has had an eye appointment cancelled five times because they have only just managed to establish totally safe protocols for eye surgery. It's a very fine balancing act between patient safety and running an effective department.

ptermx likes this.
  5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I'm not yet 65 (a few month to go), but have received a letter for the over 65s offering me a free flu jab if I want to visit my GP's surgery. Sounds a bit risky to me at present...

What I really want is a dental appointment, but nobody is offering one of those.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Normally these are timed and risk free. Wear both a mask and gloves. A subcut injection takes about 10 seconds. Just give your name and bang.... next please. Some of these are being conducted outside in car parks anyway. My advice, get the vaccination, flu killed 20,000 people in the UK not so many years ago.

As for dentist, most are only conducting exams or extreme emergency treatments due to the safety and cost aspect of making work covid safe.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Flu jab was a bit like being back at school, except no queue. The flu clinic was separate from the surgery. Mask on, one way walk through system, temperature checked and squirt of sanitiser applied by one person on the door, walk to a desk, name checked one other question - which arm - get jabbed and walk out. Very quick. Saved a few quid as I usually just buy a jab on the high street.

Dentist is by priority. I had my regular check-up cancelled and rebooked +4 months. I was asked if I had any problems before they cancelled it. I always make next appointment when I am treated so I’d been in the book since January.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Received a letter today asking me to arrange an appointment for the jab.

And one from Boots about arranging an eye-test.

Oh well, at least I don't need a dental one for a while...