1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next move.

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Brian, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Bit of a dilemma. 23mm f1.4 or X100T. Lens fitted to the XT1, handles nicely and optically superb but a bit bulky. X100T, real optical viewfinder, small, same sensor, lens a stop slower and some say a bit soft wide open

Fuji are bustards, they keep laying traps for the unwary. :

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

And then, Brian, there's a cost difference ;) I've a few customers with that same conundrum and I point out the differences,
    money aside, a new/different battery - charger combo, extra memory card and if one's lenses are all 1.4 and/or 1.2, the
    change/lack of speed and, if travelling or moving about, the add-ons for the X100T, IMHO, made it a larger package
    than the 23/1.4 lens :)

On the other hand, having the X100T may transport you back to the Leica days with a 35/2 lens,in the form/feel factor
    ;)

Cheers,

Jack

3. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

But Jack, memory cards are dirt cheap and take up no room, plus a small 16gb card and JPEG is going to last me about two thousand years. Likewise batteries, small and as cheap as chips. Plus an X100t plus those extras weigh significantly less then the XT plus the 23mm. You also forget the one great advantage of the X100T ........the optical viewfinder, a sheer joy to use, and your nose doesn't get in the way. A thinking man's Leica no less.

Trouble is now the XT1 has acquired cobwebs. :)

4. Done_rundleCams

I rest my case, Brian, with my last line --
    And, if the XT-1 is, in fact, collecting cobwebs, it would make pretty decent "trade in" fodder ;)

Cheers,

Jack
    --

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

But what would I trade it in for Jack. The only camera that comes close is the Leica Mono. But even that camera isn't as good a "tool' as the XT.

I have had a loan of a "Q" lovely IQ but lousy viewfinder compared to the X100T

6. Done_rundleCams

Ah, I was thinking that, if you were done with the XT-1 et al, that you might trade that towards
    a X100T, Brian :) One of our customers is selling off his Leica Q …. after only having for
    about a year :eek: Mind you, this is kind of par for the course for this particular customer ;)

Cheers,

Jack

7. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Sorry Jack, perhaps I didn't make it clear, already got an X100T.:) In fact two, why? Don't ask.

8. Done_rundleCams

Oh, I see, Brian, I thought you were pining for a X100T. As for two, getting a third might be a good idea, as it would make it
    easier to use the two convertor lenses so, you could go out with a 35mm, 28mm and 50mm (equivalent) lenses ;)

Cheers and I wish you the best of luck with this conundrum :D

Jack

9. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I have the 23mm f1.4 - just the ticket for street togging; that is, if you need a back-up for the 35mm f2.

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Roll on Fuji bringing out an f2 version

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  11. Done_rundleCams

I think, Brian, a (relatively tiny) 23/2 WR lens would be just the ticket for Fuji :)

Cheers,

Jack

12. Done_rundleCams

Tis, indeed, Mike and, if I could have, but, one lens, it would be a 23/1.4 or /2 in a small (APS sensor size) and 35/1.4/ or /2 in FullFrame :)

Cheers,

Jack

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

If (and it is a big 'if') Fuji goes full-frame, then I'll be right with you on a 35mm f2, but I have the feeling this will be later rather than sooner. But I'm not complaining.

14. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Rather then Fuji go full frame I can see others reverting to smaller sensors.

Bit like cars, engines got bigger and bigger in the search for power. Then along came the likes of Coventry Climax, and Colin Chapman who once said a power output of 100 bhp per ltr was the ideal for F1 cars.......now my wife's Mini Cooper S tops that by a considerable margin. It's the quality and the efficiency , not the size that matters.

And yes, the23mm is a great lens, if it came off steroids.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's not necessarily the size:)of the sensor that is important, it's what it can do. The advantages of crop frame sensors are lighter and more compact bodies and lenses, nicely exploited by Fuji with cameras designed as digital from scratch, using an excellent sensor. A bigger sensor means a bigger and heavier outfit, which goes against the ethos of these cameras.

16. Done_rundleCams

And, allegedly, it shall be Brian, if the 23/2 WR that was just put on the Fuji lens roadmap thing, actually comes to
    fruition ;)

Cheers,

Jack

17. Done_rundleCams

I think, Mike, that if Fuji change "sensor size", it'll be up to a Medium Format (esque) size :)

Cheers,

Jack

18. Done_rundleCams

Indeed, N_B :)

Cheers,

Jack

19. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Yes and a 50mm f2 Jack.

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

IIRC, Leica have done a digi full-frame fixie. ;)

Brian, Fuji are really getting their act together at extracting money from photographers! I was tempted by the tiddly compact with a viewfinder, the x-10. It needed some improvements but the x-20 didn't quite deliver and then the x-30 was made larger (less pocketable) and lost its EVF. Auuughh! X100T is a Leica eater but as you say, it's a bit too bulky. Panasonic are going the same way.

Think I'm reinforcing the conclusion that I came to a long time back that the camera makers will make what they think the customer wants (not necessarily what the customer wants) until they go out of business. Mind you, nothing new. That has often been the case throughout the history of photography.

My current thinking is 'go with the pain' and carry a bag with interchangeable lens camera and couple of or three lenses or take a risk with a body & one lens round the neck and hope that images too distant can be rescued by cropping and that nothing too supercalifragilisticextrawide turns up.

I'd go for the 23mm. Good luck with the choice.