1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEX + Vintage lens

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by caledonia84, Dec 19, 2012.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The shoes and the bench is just crying out for a little bit of smoke from each shoe...

Adrian

2. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

great idea! however I think that may be beyond my photoshop skills! :D

3. caledonia84

The mighty Helios 40 85mm f1.5!!!! and if you don't think its mighty try dropping it on your foot!

I got this lens cheaper than usual due to small strands of fungus on the very outside of the front element (still expensive!). The lens is actually quite easy to work on if you have a lens spanner, once it arrived it was in worse condition than I thought it would be but I got to work removing the front element and cleaning it thoroughly. Unfortunately the fungus had damaged the coating but it doesn't seam to affect the IQ.

Its a heavy lens and awkward to handle but worth persevering with, the bokeh as you'll know is beautiful, swirly in the mid range and super smooth at closer focal distances. a few shots I've taken with the lens. 0.8 minimum focal distance plus the 85mm means you can get close enough for smaller subjects.

To get the full range of bokeh Ive used a lens turbo as my APS-C sensor crops out the edges of the lens, this gives me a full frame view and, I think, pushes the f1.5 to f1.2.

[​IMG]Helios 40 85mm f1.5 by Scott Hills, on Flickr

Wab likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just bought a Super-Komura 300mm f5 for less than the M42(?) adapter will cost. Preliminary tests involved holding it in front of my F mount adapter and show that whilst it is far from perfect, it's better than I was expecting. Jury is out until i have the adapter and run the files through Lightroom.

Anyone else used one?

5. caledonia84

I've never used one Zou, I have used a soligor 300 f5.5, I wasn't expecting much from it but was quite surprised t how good it was, Id imagine the 300mm f5 ish lenses aren't overly complicated to make so hopefully its decent too

Zou likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It seems about as good as I thought from the initial impressions. Not a top performer but with care can do a decent enough job catching the birds in the back garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. caledonia84

Well, eventually added a full frame A7ii to the mix of mirror less camera bodies, good to use the intended focal lengths of these old lenses, still can't bring myself to ever leave the helios 44m out of my camera bag probably one of my cheapest lens and also one of the best!

[​IMG]The joys of mirrorless bodies by Scott Hills, on Flickr

Ricoh 28mm F2.8 Rikenon XR

[​IMG]Ricoh 28mm F2.8 Rikenon XR by Scott Hills, on Flickr

Helios 44m-4 58mm f2

[​IMG]Helios 44m-4 58mm f2 by Scott Hills, on Flickr

[​IMG]White Cheeked Turaco by Scott Hills, on Flickr

Minolta 35-70 f3.5 macro

[​IMG]Leopard Lacewing by Scott Hills, on Flickr

[​IMG]leopard lacewing by Scott Hills, on Flickr

Elicar VHQ 90mm f2.5