1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by JPhilips, May 11, 2021.

1. JPhilips

JPhilips Member

Hi Everyone

I’m new to this forum and looking to buy another DSLR. I used to have a Canon 7D but sold it because I couldn’t get a sharp picture with it without a tripod or wired shutter release even though I had bought lens with IS. This wasn’t the fault of either the camera or lens at all as I have a slight tremor. I like spontaneity in my photography so prefer not to use a tripod also it can be a hazard for others if you are in a busy area.

I read somewhere that a good photographer with a tremor should embrace it as it is part of them and tells its own story. I’m not sure I feel the same but I do feel lost without a DSLR so I’m going to research which camera I get next and find other ways to stabilise my shots.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I’d suggest before you dive into the SLR market you try out the mirrorless cameras with in-body stabilisation (IBIS) to see how they cope with your tremor. Clearly it depends on how bad it is but a tremor-free person can now hand-hold a short telephoto for exposures approaching a second. A camera shop should let you try models out. If you can, try and find a Fuji X-H1. This flopped on the market, it was bigger than Fuji users wanted and didn’t sell. It went from ~£1900 as a top of the range launch above the XT-3, to ~£900 new as stock clearance in ~2 years. As a big and relatively heavy IBIS body it may sit steadier in the hand than the lighter bodies the market prefers.

3. JPhilips

JPhilips Member

Pete

Thank you I will check it out as that’s great advice

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Personally I am not qualified to offer advice all I can offer is sympathy but please let us know how you get on.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I too welcome you and offer sympathy. Olympus have a reputation for having a very advanced image stabilisation system in their mirrorless OM-D bodies, and when used with some of their lenses this is enhanced further. Would surely be worth getting a demo and taking your own memory card to a dealer so you can check the images at your leisure before deciding whether or not to go ahead with a purchase. It is also possible that the Disabled Photographers Society may be able to offer help, are you aware of them?
    https://www.the-dps.co.uk/

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My wife suffers with a tremor. She certainly finds a lighter camera helps. Currently she uses a 70d bt finds image quality suffers after a while. She has started using an Olympus OM-D 10 as a walkaround camera.

7. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I would echo the advice about getting a mirrorless camera, unless you really want a DSLR, in which case what about getting one of the more basic models, which tend to be a lot smaller and lighter. I was out with my daughter last night. She had my old Nikon D40 and I had my D750. The D40 wasn't much bigger than many mirrorless cameras and was a lot lighter than the D750. If you don't fancy lugging a tripod about either, what about using a monopod?

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

There is certainly a wide range of weights in the DSLR world - I remember picking up an entry level (D3200?) Nikon some years ago, and almost smacking myself in the face with it as it was half the weight I'd expected. So you may be able to pick a weight that suits you.

I've never used mirrorless but if I was buying new, with no need to pair existing lenses to a body, I'd certainly think about it.

9. JPhilips

JPhilips Member

Great advice! Thank you everyone, I hadn’t even thought of mirrorless so I will definitely look at them.

10. PeteRob

It’s the way the market is going. About four years ago the companies cracked how to get autofocus information off a sensor and to provide an almost realistic viewfinder image, which can also reflect the effect of exposure compensation. Without constraint of a mirror assembly cameras can be smaller and lighter, though currently some are going the other way. Not everyone wants a really light camera it would seem. Optics don’t get much lighter, unless going to a smaller format, so overall balance can be an issue. Fuji make a rangefinder style compact and a system camera which combine an optical (off axis) and a electronic (through the lens) viewfinder. Lots of choice and the pace of development has slowed a bit so cameras don’t get outdated as quickly as they did when the technology was developing.

11. JPhilips

JPhilips Member

There’s lots to think about. I’m checking the comparison tool on dpreview. Once I’ve chosen I will need to ask for advice on lenses but that’s for another time. Thanks everyone

12. PeteRob

The most important thing you can do is go to a shop and try some (new or old) for how they feel in your hand. It’s all well and good (and useful info) looking at reviews but it’s no good having the “best” camera & lenses if you hate using it. AP reviews are good. They are on the main website.

13. JPhilips

JPhilips Member

I will go to a shop once I’ve narrowed my selection down and I agree comparison tools and reviews are great with information but they don’t replace actually having the chance to handle and try them in a store

14. miked

miked Well-Known Member

In the past year I've acquired SHS in my right hand. (Shaky hand syndrome). Now when I'm out with my camera I take a monopod. It's not the perfect answer to the problem, but it certainly proves to be a great steadying influence, especially if I brace it with a leg. They are not generally too expensive, and you can buy ones with fold-up tripod feet if you think that will also help.

Best of luck.

15. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I do líke my (Olympus) Pen for light and fast. I have a slightly older model that I can put a viewfinder on, basically feels like a SLR without the bulk.
    I believe the Pen epl8 was the last one to take the VF4 viewfinders. I think they are still sold new or you might want to go second hand.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

The Pen 8 has only 3-axis IBIS whereas the EM-10 mark II onwards has 5-axis stabilisation which works out about a stop better, according to the relevant "experts"

17. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

That is a point to consider, and the OM-D is not much bigger than the pen with the vf on.