1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie here just saying hello

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by lanzalad, Aug 9, 2011.

1. lanzalad

lanzalad Member

well i've just got my self a canon 550D and joined this forum to see if it will help me with my new hobbie...

2. Artylarry

Artylarry Well-Known Member

Hi, im a newbie too so not much help but the guys seem friendly and helpfull here. Although critical which is fine with me.
    Keven

3. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Absolutely! :)

Welcome to the AP forums - enjoy!

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome :)

Sounds like you are totally new to photography, is there something your keen to shoot? ie action, landscape etc.

5. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Usually only in the appraisal gallery, and that is what it is for.:D

6. Artylarry

Artylarry Well-Known Member

Yea, I meant the Appraisal gallery, its good advice. Meant it in the nicest way.

7. lanzalad

lanzalad Member

well i wouldnt say im totaly new to photography.

my 1st camera was a Pentax MX in the mid 70's when i was about 8 or 9 years old.

i learnt everything about the camera and used it all the time but the only thing was the cost of photo developing i just didnt have the money so i hung up my camera.

well 20+ plus years down the line and im back and it seems like a whole new world.

i do like landscapes and the weather, we i guess every day life too..

im hoping to get out and about this weekend.

i was just thinking about taking a walk around the city.

8. Tony Everett

Tony Everett Active Member

Hello and welcome :D

9. P_Stoddart

Hold on, hold on there. The maths does not work out. :D

It's 36 years since the mid 70s. So you must mean 30+. When did you hang up the MX?

So you must know a fair amount, the MX is all manual. Did you shoot slide or colour neg?

I cannot believe you have not touch a camera for 30 years. Really? :)

10. lanzalad

lanzalad Member

i got the camera round about 78/79 and used it for around 10 years.

my step father got me the camera helped me along with it and then i would go out and try to pick up small jobs to pay for my films but in the end the shutter was sticking and my flash had packed in and i just didnt have the money to continue.

so i would say that would take me up to round about 1988 then i hung it up and yes i didnt get another one until 2005 which was a Fuji FinePix A340 Digital Camera

just a point and shoot ... one of the things that always niggled away at me was knowing if i had a better camera my photo's would be much better.

i would say this now brings me up to my 1st post here ... now having a 550D and saying hello...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  11. P_Stoddart

Well I am not flush at this time. Managed to get a Fujifilm s100fs bridge camera. There is a member on here Jack Hood who got 10th place in the Wildlife round of APOY using the next one up (very similar) s200exr for a shot.

But start out on film myself 80/90 last shot film around 2003. Using Zenit/ Praktica MTL3/5 then Pentax MZ5.

Well I hope you feel brave enough to post some shots in the Appraisal Gallery for us to view and comment.

Lots of Canon users on here so real user advice to should be easy to come by.

12. lanzalad

lanzalad Member

here's a few from my last holiday not using my new 550D
    i tried to resize the photo's but i couldnt get them to do it ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. lanzalad

lanzalad Member

ive just been loking at the Fujifilm s100fs and it looks like a nice camera.

14. P_Stoddart

It has the largest sensor of all bridge camera available I believe (2/3")

But your 550D will perform better in low-light about 4.5x better. Also you can put faster long lenses on your camera. I am stuck with f5.3 at the 400mm (35mm film equiv) end.

It's quite heavy for a bridge camera but I don't have to carry anything else.

You would have to probably carry two lenses at least. One wide down to 28mm (35mm film equiv) and one other to get upto 400mm (35mm equiv). There might be a 18-250mm zoom for the 550D out there which would give the 28-400mm (35mm equiv).

I presum you know about dSLR crop sensors ie sensors that are half frame of 35mm film format. So when you put a lens on it get multiplied by 1.5x. That is why the kit lens is 18mm-55mm gives you 28mm-82mm (35mm equiv).