1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Newbie enters the room,

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Darren clay, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Darren clay

Darren clay New Member

Hello all, thanks for adding me to the forum.
    I've been a keen photographer for few years I own 2 dslr's and recently bought a mirrorless camera and as much as I like the feel etc of it, I don't think my pictures are as good as the DSLR!!
    I look fwd in reading your posts and hopefully join in too

peterba likes this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Darren. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it here. :)

Which mirrorless camera did you get, and what is it that you find 'lacking' about it?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Ditto from me. There is an ongoing low level debate here about the merits of the two systems so as much detail as possible would be interesting
    Thanks

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome Darren.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

There is no reason why the actual quality of results from a DSLR and a Mirrorless should differ, as the lenses and sensors and firmware are now pretty much identical. However there are differences in the viewfinder and focus mechanisms which certainly give a difference to the handling and perceptions.

There are greater differences between the speed of acquiring focus between various DSLRs and various Mirrorless models, than between the two styles of camera. But slightly fewer Mirrorless cameras have achieved the top speeds.

Slight differences are undoubtedly apparent between makes and models, just as there have always been with DSLRs

None of these differences between systems can be shown to exist in the finished images, and it is impossible to tell which produced what.

The greatest difference of all is between the abilities of photographers.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Welcome. I'd have thought it difficult to tell the results apart between a recent mirrorless and DSLR. I was surprised at how good mine was, and that is a couple of generations old now.

7. Darren clay

Darren clay New Member

Thank you for all the welcomes you have gave me. I've only been using cameras for a few years (2015 was my 1st dslr)

1st off I have only Sony cameras so its not like going from Nikon to Sony I have Sony a58 & a77ii, both of which i loved (and still do) my favourite lens is my 70/400mm G lens (also various other lenses from kit lens to more expensive lenses, usually Sony or sigma lenses)
    I have now bought a Sony A6000 with 2 kit lenses (16/50 & 55/210mm) the problem i have found is the focus points seem to be off and it doesn't have a micro adjustment like the dslr's

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

As I understand it the micro-adjustment on DSLRs (which shouldn't really need to be used if the camera is built to spec) compensates for any possible difference in the distance to the focus sensors compared to the distance to the sensor. Mirrorless cameras using the sensor to focus shouldn't have this source of error. I don't know Sony but could it be that you are comparing "good" lenses with "kit" lenses - the main difference in my experience would be some loss of sharpness.

RogerMac and Darren clay like this.
  9. Darren clay

Darren clay New Member

yeah i think you could be right, I just need to save up for some good glass then!!!