1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by dangie, Aug 14, 2019.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Going to New York with my son on 3 weeks time spending 6 days there.
    I've looked at a few previous threads on here about New York but they were quite old so thought I'd ask again.

Hints & tips please plus any other useful information both for photography and others would be much appreciated.
    I've pretty much decided to take a Canon 6D + 24-105mm lens and my Ricoh GR2 compact with fixed 28mm lens.

Thank you.

2. Eveline Mantis

Eveline Mantis New Member

I think you should catch Manhattan from the other side of the Hudson River!

3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

A lot of you photography in NY will be street photography. Obvious things will be the Empire State Building. You can get a good view of it on W34th Street, between 5th and 6th Aves. The Chrysler Building and Grand Central Station are classic shots - take a tripod and see if you can persuade someone to stand still and take a long exposure shot with the famous window in the background, so that you capture the movement all around them. The Guggenheim is good for architecture type shots.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Dangie has been and come back by now but for anyone else, don’t miss Central Park, The High Line, Roosevelt Island or, this being a photographic forum B & H. The New York subway is expensive compared to the London Underground but it is a great way to get around. The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) is good for getting out to Long Island but it isn't exactly cheap either but when that is your only real expense it doesn't matter, you may think otherwise.

Further afield Montauk at the far end of Long Island, use the LIRR, is worth a visit as is Sunken Meadow State Park but that need a car. There are other parks nearer the city but I haven't visited any of them, yet.

A couple of apps for your phone:
    Train Time which is the LIRR timetable and more, it is really useful and it will tell you where there is plenty of space.
    NYC Subway, a system map with a route planner, a status display and alerts.

5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

:D I hadn't noticed the date on the OP.
    However, as you say if anyone is intending to go, Coney Island is a good spot too. Get the subway and when you come out of the station, the area is quite rundown and shabby which can make for some interesting shots. Then there is the Boardwalk and the adjacent amusement parks.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Six days isn't really long enough to do NY justice. I have lost count of the number of trips we have made in the past 30 years and we haven't seen very much at all. We have however been to places many tourists wouldn't even consider, the joys of having family to visit.

beatnik69 likes this.
  7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

No idea how you can possibly say that, it's about USD30 for a week's pass which gives you access to the MTA network of buses and subway trains. I was last there in October 2018 with my younger daughter to celebrate her birthday and I'd love to go back again. The new SoL museum was under construction and nearing completion, we were lucky enough to get free pedestal tickets (they are rationed daily and most are snapped up online) and I'd love to see the new museum for myself.
    Daughter researched and found "Ellen's Starlight Diner" and whilst it was way more expensive than I'd usually pay for an evening meal, and the queue was about 40 minutes, it was an experience not to forget....... do a "google" and find out why !

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A single journey on the New York subway is more expensive than a single journey on the London Underground. For us a $30 one week pass would not have been economical, but thanks for suggesting it. We stay about half way down Long Island and get into Manhattan on the LIRR from Northport, we can add subway rides relatively cheaply and that sufficed for us but, had we wanted to add a couple more rides it would have been relatively expensive. It all rather depends on your needs.

9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

New York MTA card costs USD 1 and a single ride is currently USD 2.75. 7-day card is currently USD 33
    London Transport Oyster card is GBP 5, and a sample journey I put is in showing as GBP 3.20 off-peak or GBP 4.80 peak.
    For me, that still makes New York cheaper, and I don't see an option for a 7-day oyster "travelcard"

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My last trip to London in December cost me around £8 per day just using contactless payment as there is no need to buy an oyster card (I think that is the max you will pay in a day) so looks like NYC buying a 7 day card is cheaper than just 3 days of travel on the tube.