1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New X Lenses from Panasonic

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Roy5051, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

When the Four Thirds collaboration was started, it was stated that the lens mount would be common amongst all collaborating manufacturers, and that lenses from each manufacturer could be used on other manufacturers' bodies.

It now appears that Panasonic have gone off at a tangent, and started producing lenses that MAY not work on the other collaborators' bodies, indeed, may not even fully work on all their own bodies.

Is the FT agreement falling apart?

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Do you mean micro four thirds in your post? Four thirds is the old format ie Olympus E5 etc.

All the new Panasonic Lumix G cameras are micro four thirds. L10 look like the last four thirds camera by them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system

3. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

As I understand it, Micro Four Thirds is derived from Four Thirds and uses the same sensor; whether the original agreement cascades down to MFT I don't know, does anybody out there know?

4. HuXen

HuXen Member

Pretty sure it does. The new Panny X lenses will be compatible on all MFT bodies. Same with the new Olympus lenses.

I'm saving up now for the new Panasonic X lenses that come out in 2012, they're meant to be fast (not sure on aperture yet, but a lot of people are saying 2.8 through out the zoom range as a minimum) zoom lenses, a 12-35mm and a 35-100mm. I'll hopefully be buying both when they're out, depending on the cost of course.

Also the new X lenses are purely Panasonic, Leica have no input in these lenses whatsoever.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My reading of a quote from Panasonic is that the reason that Leica have no input is because they do not conform to Leica standards, probably because they rely on in camera software to correct abberations. Of course I do not know for sure but that seems to imply that whilst they may fit Olympus cameras the performance might be a lot less than optimum

6. HuXen

HuXen Member

A quote from Panasonic...

"For the X line, we're using digital technology to get the same quality [in a more compact product]. This would not have conformed to Leica's standard."

Sounds to me that Leica wanted to use the same tech for these lenses which wouldn't of allowed for a smaller size, so Panasonic went alone.

These X lenses are meant to be premium 'pro' lenses so who knows. I guess until we see sample shots and know the aperture and price it's all speculation :D