1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New Website

Discussion in 'Personal Portfolio Sites' started by Craig20264, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Well, I've decided to dip my toe into the water of websites. It's a free domain name at present, with a free plan. I plan to upgrade if it works out ok. I have to say the 'Wix' software is easy to navigate and the finished product looks ok, to my eye anyway. This is where you lot come in. I would appreciate your thoughts on layout etc. I haven't uploaded too many images just yet. I've tried to keep it simple and minimal looking, as I despise cluttered websites. Well, here it is.

https://wcg666.wixsite.com/craiggoldiephoto

Over to you.

daft_biker likes this.
  2. Olivia Green

Olivia Green Member

The website looks great!
    If you're a professional, you should go for a personal domain. Nothing more frustrating than having some other ads on your website and .something.com subdomain.
    Go ahead with a personal domain, rest everything looks good.

Rika Guite and Craig20264 like this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Does everything it should! Works on my ipad, and I'm on a terrible connection at the moment, so that's encouraging. Nice choice of pics! Great to see them again all in one place.

Rika Guite and Craig20264 like this.
  4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The site works well with good quality images.

5. Rika Guite

Rika Guite New Member

The website looks great, especially the landing page!
    Just curious, which font have you used in the website?

6. krasis

krasis Member

Good website! Wix isn't good for SEO though in my opinion. If you don't know how to code or do the whole getting a domain and hosting thing, sticking to a website builder is a good idea but I would rather recommend to you the hPage.com website builder than Wix since the website is HTML-based (but no coding required) so the websites made there has SEO optimization. You can create a website for free there too and they have a slideshow gallery feature which is perfect for photo sets.
    You might wanna check it out: https://www.hpage.com

7. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Love the website :)
    Love the photos
    Don

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I like the images and the way you have (I assume) chosen to display them again a dark background.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded one as a 'webp' file (the only option available), but this can then be opened in MS Paint and saved as a JPG that is probably good enough for use on a postcard or greeting card. Does the software allow any way of preventing a download of an image?

I have not kept the downloaded image or the JPG version.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Love the pics. Not so keen on white text on black - I find it hard to read.

10. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I have been with ipage for years and will be changing to WIX

11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Nice. Easy to navigate and presents the images well. Have to agree with the white text on a grey background can cause a few people reading problems.

I'd personally like to see the images a bit bigger. The minimum size I'd use is 900px for the longest edge.

Several friends of mine have just left Wix for political reasons, but that's not a topic to discuss here.

Craig20264 likes this.
  12. Craig20264

Been a couple of years since I kicked this one off. If I ever get around to some more landscape photography, I will add some more images. Thanks for the suggestions which have all been taken on board.

13. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

And yet you have ;) ;) ;)

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

He didn't say it was unreadable, he said it could be hard to read. Make something difficult to read and people will just click away from the site. My wife is dyslexic and finds black font on a pale blue background easier to read than any other combination. Yellow background with a black font is easier for people with certain eyesight issues.

Craig20264 likes this.
  15. Craig20264

I wasn’t aware of these issues. Good to be informed. Cheers.

16. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, when working in web development and user interface design there was a guide for designing website (and other software) so that people with visual impairments and/or disabilities would be able to use the website.

There are rules about the use of fonts, colours, spacing, in fact all elements of design. Also, pictures (photos and graphics) all had to have alt-text and descriptions so screen readers would be able to describe what was on the screen.

Without adhering to these rules you wouldn't be able to get any website, online learning, etc., passed and allowed to run in schools, government funded programmes and various such places.

Just had to google it as I could remember the BSI number for it! It's BS 8878 Web accessibility, which has now been replaced by the ISO 30071-1 standard.

Craig20264 likes this.
  17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Craig you might want to update your blog personally I leave websites when they are out of date it makes me think if you (website owner)can’t be bothered nor can I. Current posts make it appear higher in search engines hopefully exposing others to your site. SEO is a minefield I could write a book about driving traffic to sites, but if you want your site to be found keep it fresh. Don

Craig20264 likes this.