1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New way to hunt foxes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RogerMac, Apr 15, 2014.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

Saw this story a few weeks back somewhere else - I think it is lovely.

As for the anti hunting brigade - they can say what they want but chances are I will disagree lol

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I quite like it but it isn't very English. I prefer the use of hounds and horses.Horses and hounds are easier photographic targets.

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Sounds like great sport. I'd love to have a go. Only reason I never got into foxhunting in UK is that I was aye feart of falling off a horse.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I am sure falling off the top of a mountain would be rather worse.

a terrific story .

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

Falling off is really not that bad - it doesnt happen anyway as near as people think and you dont really expect it.

As for photography a friends daughter worked in racing for a while and used her mobile to video as she took the horse over fences while training (hurdles are the small ones that can be knocked flat about 3 and a half feet high - fences are the bigger more solid ones - 4 ft6 high)

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

The story was out a while ago...and the method is reported to have been used for 2000 years...so not really that new. Some people in the UK try and hunt with golden eagles...

Graeme

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I love photo no 3 in particular - to me, it says it all about the bond between the girl and the eagle, and sheer joy of being able to work with a bird like that.

I wonder - can I persuade a red kite to hunt wabbits?

Adrian

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Despite their looks, red kite's are pretty poor at hunting, especially something as big as a rabbit. They'd rather scavenge food and even then they often rely on something else to have opened the carcass. Besides, a Harris hawk would be a cheaper and more effective option.

The Hawk Conservancy Trust recently had a photo on their facebook page of their teenage apprentice, Ria, bringing one of their bald eagles to hand. The bird was nearly as big as her.

10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right, I was just speculating as that's what we have a surplus of round here! Someone on another forum I'm on claims to have seen a kite kill a kestrel, and that he's seen them clearing out the songbirds. I have to say that I doubt that very, very much - it would have to be a particularly dopey kestrel for starters, they should be able to run rings round a kite.

I have seen someone advertising a day's rabbiting using Harris Hawks...

Adrian

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

12. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

You might be able to. Our local Mink Hounds had a guy with a Harris Hawk to kill the mink rather than let the hounds do it but it didn't really work out.