1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New user

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

Someone at my club asked if he could see my K-5. I took it to the next meeting and showed him its unique features. He seemed impressed. Last evening, he produced his brand new K-5II.

Now there are two Pentax users in the club!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Out of almost one hundred members in our club only two of us use Pentax. The rest unfortunately for them use inferior brands..!!
    ;)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What, they all use Sony, Olympus and Nikon? ;)

4. Monobod

Come now, let's not start another war over makes. As I have said before, if Pentax wish to stop some established users from going elsewhere, they should produce a top class full frame dslr and support it with FF lenses. But I now think this is less likely than before the advent of the K-3.

If they were to so do, I think it would attract more sales than they might think, as I'm sure that, like me, many established Pentax users have a good selection of FF Film lenses. Now before you say that these lenses may not have the quality needed to work with a 36Mp sensor, remember that film lenses had to be carefully designed to avoid chromatic aberrations and barrel distortions, as you cannot correct these post production with negatives or trannies. Also colour and contrast had to be good too.

But I am probably howling at the moon, so I'm saving up for, one day, a good used Nikon D800E, or even a new one if I am very lucky.

5. robbiec

robbiec Member

We have 3 Pentax users in my club. Mixture of K-5 and K-5IIs in play. As to the other brands being inferior? only in so much as that their modes are shockingly archaic in the digital age. No hyper program or TAv modes, all very strange. And where is the their magic green button? :)
    I've finally figured out how Pentax has held onto to all its users without the fabled FF option. The other brands are simply counter intuitive to use after exposure to K20D, K-7, K-5 or K-3's for any usable length of time.

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Before I get accused of starting a brand war my comment did have a smiley winkey face.. :D

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

A week or so ago I was responding to a newbie's plea on the Help Team forum, something about wildlife in low light. They were using a Nikon, I think it was, or possibly Canon - one of the "big names" anyway - and I suggested they set the aperture as wide as they could with sufficient DoF, the shutter speed to 1/focal length, and auto ISO mode, which I assumed they would have as something equivalent to TAv, but probably under another name. I was surprised when someone responded to my post saying that Nikons, or Canons as it may have been, couldn't do that.

I'm still slightly bemused by why so many people seem to buy these inferior machines. But then, a lot of people seem to like football, and some people seem to like opera, and I've never understood that, either.

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

It works fine on my Canon 6D, and I think on my E5, but I am away from home at the moment and can not test on the Olympus. Incidently I did get to use na K4 on a recent AP away day and it is a very nice camera

9. Monobod

"Incidently I did get to use na K4 on a recent AP away day and it is a very nice camera."

Yes, but just look at the price of them.
    :( (and the weight!).

It is significant though that they had to limit it to 16Mp in order to get the very low noise levels at high ISO. But even so, the image quality is outstanding. Just goes to show that loads of Pixels is not the only way to get a great image.

Amazing machine gun speeds too.......

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Neither the cost nor the weight seemed out of order compared to my other two cameras! Out of camera JPGs did show rather dark shadows but there was plenty of detail to be brought out on the sliders. The only criticism I had was that the shutter was rather noisy compared to the 6D - but as the frame rate is 50% higher that is excusable.

11. Monobod

Perhaps we should resist discussing Canon and Nikon on the Pentax Chat line. I still prefer the control systems of Pentax over the other makes, so I am unlikely to change brands. I'm just a bit confused as to the future plans Ricoh has for Pentax.

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Ah ha, now i know why you want the K-3, Dave, the old one-upmanship game ;)

Seriously, well done, but, don't you two(2) be greedy and take all the awards :D

Cheers,

Jack

13. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I've not tried it myself, but apparently if you set a Nikon to auto-ISO then set aperture and shutter speed manually (ie M mode) it effectively gives you "TAv" mode.
    Can anyone confirm this?

14. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

15. Monobod

Yes, I also own one of these. Excellent engineering and a joy to handle, but I must admit, not a patch on my K-5 for ease of use. Film has no serious place in my workflow these days. Digital is just so much better in so many ways.

See my logo picture.