1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new toy

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Daz, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

should be receiving the yashicamat today or tomorrow, what should I look out for when it arrives to make sure all is working, ie known problems, hints/tips on what to look for etc, Edit, wow that was freaky, just finished typing in the above post and the postie arrived knocking at the door with a nice package for me.
    thanks

daz clark

2. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

should be reveiving the yashicamat today or tomorrow I did not know Rob was ill./img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Salazar the Sinister
    Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

3. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

took me a while to figure what on earth you were on about, my fingers are getiing too fat and I'm too lazy to read over the post. While I'm here, my first problem with the Mat. The wind on lever/shutter primer works fine until it gets to around the 8th exposure then it jams halfway through winding on, I then turn it back, press the shutter release (but it doesn't fire) and then start again and everything is ok, I have also noticed that the little pin that resets the exposure counter doesn't pop out itself when you open the cover, you have to pull it out yourself to get it to reset the counter, possibly related?
    will this be easy to fix myself or is it a repair job for a shop?
    cheers

daz clark

4. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

A dab of lighter fuel around the pin may free it up. The 'Mats behave differently when loaded/unloaded. Unloaded they seem to have a very short throw at certain frames. You will have to run a test film through it for confirmation that all is working as it should.

<font color=purple>Johnmac</font color=purple>
    Shoot pictures, blow-up negs

5. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

will hopefully get some film tomorrow, havent had time today so the tests I carried out were without film, hopefully it's as simple as that,
    thanks

daz clark

6. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

Wow - what did I miss??!!

As Johnmac said, the 'mats behave differently with film in. Get a cheap roll of 120 film and then try it. As for the pin, as said before, a little solvent such as lighter fluid should clean it up a bit. Check it's not bent - could be causing it to jam. A pair of needle-nose pliers will sort that one out if that's the case.
    Apart from the pin, how does the camera look generally, Daz? The optics okay, free of fungus, shutter running smoothly and quietly?
    Let us know when you've run the first film through and any problems you may have had (of course, being a 'mat, you wouldn't have had any problems/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif).
    Enjoy your new toy!

Rob NRIPN

if something's not worth doing, it's worth forgetting about

7. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

everything on it works ok part from the aforementioned, no fungus/scratches shutter works on all sppeds and appertures and timer works fine too. Could do with a good clean though, and some glue to re stick some of the peeling black fabric stuff, I would imagine that impact adhesive would be the best for not and definately not superglue

daz clark

8. robbybobby

That means that the camera has been serviced - I would imagine that the cover on the back and underneath is perfectly intact as they don't need to remove it to service the camera.
    The covering on mine is falling off but I don't worry about it (if you look at Johnmac's thread on camera coverings, one's for the 'mat are available).

Rob NRIPN

9. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

all other coverings are intact, just got back from running my first roll of film through and everything seems fine so far, hopefully get the negs developed tomorrow night and make some contact prints. Still cant get the counter reset pin to pop out though, have tried the lighter fluid, it feels more like something mechanical is holding it? is there an easy way in to the side to I can have a look?

daz clark

10. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

I forgot to add a dumbass question, for which you'll probably all hate me for. How does the depth of field on the Mat work, I have never had to use this before as all other cameras I have you can stop the lens down

daz clark

11. robbybobby

Around on the focussing dial there's a DOF scale - simply match up the midpoint of the extremes of your DOF up to the centre, then look to see what aperture you need to use. Have a look and you'll soon see what I'm rabbiting on about.
    As for the pin, I'm not sure. I'll have a look at mine later to see if I can see a way in. I would refrain from yanking on it with pliers for the time being - that should be a last resort, even though it's no doubt tempting.
    I'll get back to you on that one, Daz.

Rob NRIPN

12. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

It just needs a little wiggling about either with a pair of tweezeers or a matchstick, not too much force. I will go and have a play toth the DOF scale
    cheers

daz clark

13. robbybobby

As long as you don't mind wiggling it around, there shouldn't be a problem. I suspect that the pin originally had been at a slight angle once and then the back was closed on it, bending it. Since it has jammed slightly.
    Anyhow, for £45 wasn't it, that's a good bargain. Make sure you post some of the first images!

Rob NRIPN

14. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

not going to get to dev them till the weekend now :( have to go to a maternity class thing with the wife tonight, oh well should be fun
    cheers for the help guys

daz clark

15. robbybobby

No problems, Daz, any questions more questions just email me.
    Enjoy the class!

Rob NRIPN

16. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

managed to repair the yashcamat today on my own, I have thopught about trying it myself a couple of times but decided not to...............until today. I was bored and thought, damn it, I'm an engineer with toolmaking experience as well as having worked on a wide variety of mechanical machines and having designed and built machines for people like Compaq Ibm Motorola, a wee camera shouldnt be much hassle. It was a lot simpler than I thought, I took the side cover off and immediately spotted a little screw stuck in the exposure reset mechanism, the screw itself had broken off the mechanism and lodged itself there, fortunately the little bar that pushes the pin out has more than one screw to retain it so I can still use the camera until I can find a replacement. Just got to stick the covers back down now. Anybody want to see the pictures?

daz clark

17. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Pics...

...yeah, why not! (I'll show you mine, if you'll show me yours :)

Chris [​IMG] ...I showed you how to plant 'em on the page...

18. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

Re: Pics...

I'll remind you first that my photoshop skills are clearly questionable
    yashicamat
    on the bootom picture, the lefthand circle is where the screw was meant to be and the right hand circle was where the screw was found. dead interesting, eh?

19. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

Re: Pics...

[​IMG]

20. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Now showing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You must link to the images, not the page...

< IMG SRC=" http://www.dazclark.co.uk/Yashicamat/0002.jpg" >

Chris [​IMG] ...keep at it, you'll get there...