1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New to me - an Eos 5DS

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Well, it arrived early this morning, and although I've been using Canon SLR bodies since 1995, and DSLRs from around 2003 (an Eos 10D), it took me around 80 minutes before I had removed the previous owner's personalisation. It now feels and works like my other Canon DSLRs. It wasn't that personalised, but it was in ways that could easily interfere with my "just purchased" assessment - and in ways that I've never bothered with or knew that I needed. I'm currently trying to understand why it was more affordable than an Eos 5D Mark IV. So far, I do like its quiet shutter, and it's my first full-frame body since my Eos 5D Mk II bought in 2011.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've got one. I got fed up waiting for the 5D iv to ship so I bought the 5Ds. I was also concerned that the pound would dive with Brexit and all the prices double. When the 5Div arrived it cost £1000 more than the 5Ds so I was quite chuffed. I think there was a lot made of the 5DsR which had a price premium and cast a bit of a shadow over the 5Ds but to be quite honest any increase in "resolution" over the 5Ds isn't of the slightest interest to anyone producing prints less than a couple of metres across. I'd rather have the moire protection of the anti-alias filter.

Mine does have a fault. It drains batteries. Internet says that there are cases of this happening rarely with examples of almost all Canon bodies mentioned. It is a pain, I just have to remember to not leave the batteries in the camera and to charge them the day before use. Even though all my batteries now show "red" on their recharge status (they don't like this drain) I still get the 'as new' number of shots with them on the day if they start charged.

3. Malcolm_Stewart

I do wish Canon would do something about the Firmware updating algorithm.
    It's quite nerve racking waiting for it to get away from the "0 - 10%" area. Will the battery have enough juice in it? Yes, I know I charged it specially...
    Anyway, the job's done now and I can relax. Of course, Canon employees don't have this problem as there's more bodies easily available to them. So despite all of the customisation, the previous owner hadn't bothered with last year's firmware update. It's possible that the body had done a few less less than 3000 shots, unless the shop meddled with the camera which I suppose is possible. The 5DS really is very similar in body style to my 5D MkII, and which has taken around 10,500 shots since getting it in 2011. My heavy use has been with my 1D MkIII and 1D MkIV when shooting sports, or birds at WWT reserves.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

A 5DS R is a relatively recent addition to my kit. I went for the R version because I had used one on a CPS day a few years ago and was very happy with the results, plus from what I had seen, Moire was only an issue with fabrics. Certainly I've not once had a problem with it in my landscapes and product shots that I use the camera for. I think differences between the two versions are subtle, and for almost all uses either one would do the job.
    I don't enjoy using it as much as the 5D IV - the touch screen and dual pixel autofocus, plus a few other features make the newer camera nicer and easier to use for me, particularly on a tripod, which is the natural habitat of a 5DS model. But the 5DS R does work very much like the older models, so it's not difficult to use, and the results, particularly with my 24mm TS-E II and 35mm L II are just wonderful. It's not the all-rounder the 5D IV is - that camera can do pretty much anything, and do it very well indeed, but what it does do, it does better than anything else. And currently, at a ridiculously low price.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Quite soon after getting my 5D MkII in 2011, I noticed Moire problems on an image of a distant factory roof, probably corrugated. And that's it, just the one example that I can remember.
    Price-wise, I wouldn't have bought my 5Ds if it had been close to a 5D IV's price - mine was closer to half, and described as "very good" condition but on arrival with more surface damage than on my much older 5D II. There's a definite dent on the edge of the mode selection knob.

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Very good from the major used suppliers usually means no noticeable marks, although their definitions say otherwise. Perhaps I have just been lucky. eBay is another matter.

Will you return it?

7. Bazarchie

How noticeable is the improvement in resolution from the 50Mp sensor compared with say a 24Mp Canon? Does the 5DS/SR require good technique and better lenses than say the 5D iii?

8. Malcolm_Stewart

Unlikely, as it seems to work OK, and it's definitely a refined camera compared to my 5D MkII. The other item I bought to go with the 5Ds was a Sigma 50mm F/1.4 DG HSM ART in Canon fitting. I already have from my film days a Canon 50 F/1.4 USM, and that is not the best performer at full aperture. The used Sigma is immaculate, but the minimalist decor & labelling had me checking the website to make sure that I'd been sent precisely what was described.

Perhaps I've been luckier on ebay, but there I've mainly bought well used survey levels at a small fraction of their original price, and none of them were "New". Most have worked, but one has had a vital internal weight removed so whilst the view through the telesdope was fine, it didn't operate as an automatic level - it was sold to me as "used", and by opening it, I've learnt a little as to how these items use optical theory & prisms in a different way. (Interesting that two low cost levels are clearly out of the same plastics moulding factory in China, but one is labelled Leica (as in Leica Geosystems with connections to the Leica we know) and the other is labelled "Geolevel".)

Bazarchie likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

From reviews at the time, it's very noticeable in a studio setting, and I should imagine, mounted on a tripod in a landscape setting. You get two main benefit, massive prints, and the ability to crop a lot without losing quality. You do need lots of light though.

10. PeteRob

I can’t answer the first exactly because I went from the 5D. The difference 12.8 MP to 50 MP is utterly amazing. The difference from 16 MP on my 1Div is very noticeable looking at a whole frame vs whole frame and cropped frame vs whole frame, but that is a decade of improvement in sensors anyway.

I don’t know where all the rubbish about having to be careful in using 50 MP full frame came from. The pixel density of 24 MP APS-C and 20 MP MFT is higher than that of 50 MP on full frame so how camera movement affects sharpness is no more problematic with the larger sensor. Same goes for lens resolution effects. I use Canon ‘L’ which seem good enough, I haven’t anything exotic to compare with. The noise performance probably isn’t comparable to 20 MP on full frame but coming from the 5D it is a huge improvement however I rarely use anything over ISO 800.

Bazarchie likes this.
  11. PeteRob

Well, that was interesting. I totally wiped my mac out doing a 100% crop on a 5Ds image. LR self-terminated (via the shutdown menu) then Adobe required a licence log-in and typing in this window is near impossible. I'll have to shut the computer down and reboot.

First a totally appalling but uncropped picture of the square at Caernafon.

[​IMG]274A5417.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

and a crop from same. Both at 800 px so a bit lost in the downsize

[​IMG]274A5417-2.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. Bazarchie

Impressive! Which lens? (24-105?)

13. PeteRob

16-35F4

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My 24MP models I use very differently, with different lenses, so it's not easy to compare directly. Compared to my old 6D (20 MP), there's a lot more detail in big prints, and a lot more noise at high ISO levels when you go in close. Compared to my 30MP models (R and 5D IV), there's still a fair bit more detail when you go in large, and more noise at high ISOs.
    Now I bought this primarily to make me slow down and take more care with my landscapes, so in all honesty, I don't know how much more care you actually need. I just do, because for paid stuff, it's product shots, and for personal stuff, landscapes. The camera is seldom off a tripod, and almost always using L primes. The idea with the personal stuff is to try to take pics worthy of the kit. ;)
    But the reality is I know it would do better with any lens.

Bazarchie likes this.
  15. Malcolm_Stewart

For starters, I've set the file size* on my 5Ds to around the same as from my 7D MkII. Probably the most useful feature that I've put in to use is the viewfinder 3x3 grid & level, and this has already reduced the number of shots where I'd missed holding the camera vertical. I've also turned on the same feature in my 7D MkII which I've been using for around 5 years... (My excuse is that snaps of birds are much less fussy about verticals being truly vertical.) I'm now awaiting delivery of a Canon GP-E2 so that I can tag my shots with location and compass direction - it's ordered, but the supplier's website was optimistic about stock when I pressed "purchase".

*I can always choose a larger filesize if I feel the subject (and lens in use) warrants it.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's always pretty much the first thing I set on a camera that allows it, and yes, I set it on my 5DS R. But mostly through force of habit, as it's pretty much always on a tripod, with spirit levels...

17. Malcolm_Stewart

0110sp MK Station, & flats conversion access.jpg
    I decided to do a basic check of the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 Art lens bought at the same time as the 5Ds. The above is of Milton Keynes station - scaffolding for turning offices into flats. Hand held 5Ds, full frame, and sized down, from Sigma F/1.4 ART at F/5.6.

0110cp MK Station, & flats conversion access.jpg

Central area crop at F/ 5.6. (I think this looks better direct on my monitor.)

Lens focused by camera's AF system, central spot, as is. i.e. not optimised for AF-MA.
    I also tried a few at F/1.4, and these were less consistent. I must try focusing via LiveView, so as to eliminate any AF-MA problems.

Mounting the Sigma 50 F/1.4 ART on my Eos M5 worked well with good sharp images. However, I noticed the weight imbalance from this heavy lens mounted on the physically small M5.

18. PeteRob

Works well.

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The Art is very sharp. I use a 50 on FF mostly for portraits, and prefer the Canon f1.2 L for the look, but the Art is sharper.

Indeed. For me, the main point of the M system is portability, and the Sigma 56mm f1.4 that's native EF-M is the best option. Lovely little lens.

20. Malcolm_Stewart

Yesterday the courier delivered the 3rd item of my recent purchasing spree, a Canon GP-E2, so I can now geotag images shot on the 5Ds, as well as record the compass direction of the shot - a feature not available on the much more expensive 5D Mk IV (with built-in GPS) unless the GP-E2 is attached. So far, everything works as expected, and I've no regrets.

Along the way I discovered that my "ancient" Eos 50D unused for several years was dead, and remained dead even after I'd charged the battery. Internet to the rescue - advice was to remove the date backup battery, and replace, and try again - all now OK, but the 50D's main battery benefited from another full recharge cycle.