1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to all this

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by ascu75, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Hi I haven't had a film developed in over twenty years and all I used to do was take it in vistaPrint type place and they would be back in a few days. Now with digital I dont have that problem just as well because all of the photo developing shops are now extinct. Where should I go now? I have seen places on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120-Medium-Format-Colour-C41-Film-Development-Processing-Scanning/332129421001?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
    would anyone recommend getting a 120 film done this way as I have a TLR with one shot left and I want to get it processed any ideas folks??
    cheers Don

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My local independent camera shop (Castle Cameras in Salisbury) offers a full range of film developing. It might be worth seeing if you have something similar in your area?

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

ascu75 likes this.
  4. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

The prices for prints are just slightly more than scan only on ebay and print and scan is only another £3.99 I may well be using them in the next few days. A film developed the first time in 20 years and I am getting nervous I just hope they come out ok.
    Don

5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Thanks Martin I will give it a try when I next go into town. Don

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

There used to be a good mini-lab in Margate, a couple of doors down from the camera shop on that street that goes up from the beach, but I imagine they're gone now. Is there no-one left in Canterbury?

Cheers,

R.

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Steve,

Folkestone? 'Ere now, thass another country!

(Sorry, never did master an Isle of Thanet accent).

Cheers,

R.

ascu75 likes this.
  9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Yep long gone Roger the nearest I have found is Folkestone and whilst I love to support local business 58 mile round journey (according to google) its hardly local and if I had to go back and pick up or pay postage ...............you know what I mean. I have found Snap Photo Service process develop and scan £14.60 I have one shot left on my TLR and I will take that later today and send the film off. Cheers
    Don

10. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Processing film ! Personally I'd give my right arm for a camera shop within reasonable travel distance. Currently there is no photographic shop to my knowledge between Cambridge and Lincoln north to south or Norwich to Leicester east to west.

ascu75 likes this.
  11. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I just tried phoning them I would rather keep my cash in Kent even if they are not exactly local.
    Don

J

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I've always used Max Spielman for C41 with good results .
    With 35mm I have them develop only as I can scan and print what I want myself .
    120 they send off and for develop and print . There isn't an option of development only , I imaging dev & scanning is an option .
    I would imagine they have a branch local to you .

I've since found a place that offers a process only service for C41 for my 120 & 220 as well as 5"x4" sheet film , this is in Manchester though .
    No point paying extra for prints that aren't needed .

I'm about to start developing my own C41 film , I have whats needed equiptment and chemicals wise . I've always processed my own black and white film and the only important part for C41 seems to be temperature control .
    The only thing that I'm waiting for is enough rolls of film that needs developing in one go .
    The kit I've got does about 12 rolls and it's all mixed in one go .

I'm up to about 8 rolls waiting and 1 5"x4" . A few more weeks and I will develop my first batch .

With B&W , I mix what developer I need for one lot , and use my saved stop and fix .

ascu75 likes this.
  13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I have never developed film, I was once a spectator to it being done but that was forty five years ago so thats not going to count as experience. Being in the wheelchair is my biggest problem there are many many things I would love to do but they involve someone being my arms and legs and that is not experience it becomes a spectator sport. Hope your quest goes okay. Don