1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New "Slimline" AP?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Roy5051, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I notice that this week's AP (5th Jan 2013) is a slim 82 pages (+ cover). No price reduction, though, not like the extra £1.15 for the last issue of 2012 (114 pages + cover). I hope this new slimline issue is not a sign of the future.:D

2. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

I think (and hope) it's just a typical holiday issue - bound to improve when there is someone back in the office.

3. thornrider

Just read the 5th January issue and now I feel much the same as Roy501. With just 44 pages of editorial it certainly is slimline. To devote 10% of those pages to "Gum Printing" which our editor asks us to see as Having Fun rubs more salt into the wound - I actually had more fun paying the increased toll on the Severn Bridge this morning. Oh well - at least I never tire of looking at those two Nikon F Apollo's in the Grays of Westminster advert.

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

"Par for the course" for many magazines; a bumper pre-Christmas double issue followed by nothing-much-in-this-issue for the first edition in the New Year. Even looking at the news section of the website, it seemed that almost nothing got reported over the festive break.

5. Roy5051

Why continue to put an extra cost on the Christmas issue then? I know it's been done that way for years, but the justification is now wearing just a teeny bit thin.

6. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Either everyone was drunk, or just all the reporters.

"Nothing ever happens" during the Xmas break, even if it does no-one bothers to report it.

7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

You don't have to buy it if you don't want to. I did, and I'm not complaining :)

8. Roy5051

Surely that is not the point. I must admit, though, that it is taking me less and less time to read AP each week, I just find less and less that really interests me. Perhaps it is an age thing, or maybe that I am not currently looking to buy more kit, my lack of interest in obscure processing methods and my zero interest in "street photography". Most of my interest is in reading about older cameras, the weekly letters pages, BackChat, The Final Frame and Ask AP. And of course the adverts at the back of the magazine.

Ah well, perhaps I should start saving my money and just read the website.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I'm not complaining either. The new issue, 12 January is also slimmed down. Fortunately the content quality makes up for the sparsity. Perhaps the advertisers are making cutbacks, and without their subsidy the quantity of editorial has to suffer. There are no archaic muddy printing techniques discussed in the latest issue. The article about the zone system is going back a bit but complements nicely ProfBob's last part of his exposure series.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

AP has a catalogue of obstacles in its business in reaching readers:
    1. Past inflation, weakened currency, high cost of imports to produce hard copy,
    2. High transport taxes in UK + high oil price (also affects ink & cleaning materials used in printing),
    3. High cost of business in UK,
    4. Head office controls, some poor pricing and other strategic decisions,
    5. For subscribers, high postal charges (affected by 1-4 also!) or newstand readers, near monopoly of wholesale distribution plus,
    6. Recent competition from PC, then laptop, then palm devices and now smartphone, pads and tablets, and
    7. Being based in the middle of one of the most expensive (and greatest :)) cities in the world.

Any good 'things' to offset against the above? Can think of two:
    1. Improvements in printing efficiencies, and
    2. Online data transmission

It's a miracle AP has survived thus far in weekly publication but I fear for it.

Long may it continue. Here's to full issues and a good 2013 for AP.

11. thornrider

Further to Learnings comment about the follow on 12th January edition. It has moved down further from a 44 page slimline 5th Jan edition to a borderline anorexic 43 pages for 12th January. This compares with 47 pages in the 17th Nov issue just picking this up at random - even in this articles like Photo Appraisal had already been reduced from 2 pages to 1. Are we having a job done on us here ?

12. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Come on folks, the AP staff are entitled to hoildays as well as you. If your company had to produce something in advance over the festive period and to meet printing deadlines, would it be 'slimmed-down' too?

If you don't like it, switch to the monthly magazines; which have been slagged-off here for repeating old news.

The editor and some of his staff have also had to start early in order to attend CES on your behalf :p

13. Roy5051

They already had a week off at Christmas because of the "double:)confused:) issue!

Most monthly magazines do 13 issues a year, in 12 months.

Shame! Another overseas jolly, eh?

14. Jim Moriarty

Jim Moriarty Well-Known Member

Oh dear, someone didn't get what he wanted off Santa(evidence suggest he didn't deserve anything anyway)

15. Roy5051

Just an AP with minimum 90 pages plus covers, including at least 50 pages of editorial.

16. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

That's what I've been doing for years :)

17. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

:) :) :)

18. Jim Moriarty

Jim Moriarty Well-Known Member

Is that contractual obligation, I missed it

19. Roy5051

No, but a reasonable request - please

20. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

TBH it's the quality of the editorial content & it's alignment with my particular interests that makes me decide to buy or not buy, rather than the quantity. Lots of the monthly photo magazines have loads of editorial content but I would never buy them because of the poor standard ... with AP I'm not interested in most of the reviews because I won't consider buying that class of product, OTOH some of the more technical stuff does interest me. But it's not consistent enough for me to subscribe though I used to do so some years ago. Not necessarily a comment on the current editorial staff - my interests have changed & I'm now doing a lot more work with cameras which are not off-the-shelf "consumer goods".

So far as the future of AP is concerned, my main concern is that the current state of the retail market is reducing the field of potential advertisers, a trend which I expect to continue. I wonder how long there will be enough advertisers prepared to pay suffiecient to keep the weekly format viable ... I very much doubt that there's much scope for shifting the production costs from advertising revenue to cover price. I'd much rather see a thinner issue - maintaining the same excellence - than a loss of publication frequency, an increase in cover price or a reduction in editorial quality.