1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New(set) K-3 firmware update

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

2. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

What!? The AP product of the year requires a firmware update already!!? :eek:

3. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I must say it is very nice to have a company continue to work on and optimise its product even after its got some recognition. I'd rather have some than none, my old camera from another manufacturer only had one firmware upgrade, ever. There was nothing wrong with that camera, but to be fair, there is nothing wrong with the K3, either. :)

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

They have also released an update for my K-5 which adds functionality with the latest lenses......great stuff.

My (expensive) Canon film scanner has never had an update and there is nothing for it for Win 7 except Viewscan. Thank goodness for Viewscan.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Canon never really made an expensive film scanner (although all film scanners were not cheap back in the day); and they've not released one this millenium. If you want expensive, you should look at my Minolta - cost me more than any DSLR I've ever bought, and neither they nor Sony have supported it since Minolta walked away from consumer imaging.
    I doubt if any camera maker will be releasing firmware 15 years after launch of a product, less still drivers; however, I think both Canon and Pentax have a pretty good track record on firmware. I'm impressed by the number provided for the Q, and the added functionalities; and some of Canon's updates, to the 5D II and 7D in particular, have been nothing less than extraordinary in the way they've transformed the cameras. So yes, well done Pentax for providing updates, no matter if it's bug fixes or functionality improvements, keep it up.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's actually the 2nd update.....

7. Monobod

Regarding the Canon film scanner, it never even had a software update to cover the next version of Win OS, let alone current. I did consider it expensive at the time, but that probably depends on how rich one is I suppose. When I spoke to Canon about it just months after buying it, I was told it was no longer supported.

I have no need of it now, so it is history......................

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm basing my comments on relative pricing of scanners at the time - it was very much mid-range. As I said, by no means cheap!

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

P.S. Wasn't the problem actually in this case a Microsoft one, in that SCSI wasn't supported in Xp for some years?

10. Monobod

TBH I cannot remember the reasons, but I know I was quite annoyed at the time.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Pretty sure that was it, because that's what galvanised me to replace my old scanner with the (Firewire) Minolta in the first place.

12. Monobod

What also annoyed me was the rather lack lustre scanning performance. Slides were over saturated and this was my main reason to get it in the first place, I was not too well pleased with it.

The model was the Canon Canoscan 4000US.

It taught me not to believe everything I read in reviews.......:)

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Must say I was never impressed with the Canon film scanners - they couldn't cope properly with the dynamic range of Velvia, which is why I went for a Minolta. Couldn't bring myself to buy a Nikon. ;) The Minolta was - is - a great scanner, but to have spent that sort of money on it and for both them and Sony not to offer any sort of support for it at all after the sell-off of the camera division was something I found utterly unacceptable.

The Canon flatbeds I've had have been pretty good - still have one of simillar vintage to the ones we're talking about that gets occasional use because it can scan 5x4 film. Again, struggles with Velvia, though.

14. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I've finally got round to loading 1.02 and my nonscientific test of locking on to a bottle top and swaying the camera, then loading the new 'ware and doing the same, suggests a noticeable improvement in the focus point being able to follow he subject, but as all things it could be the power of suggestion ;)

Will keep an eye out for more updates :)

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

If you had a Leica, you would have had to use salt and/or pepper shakers ;)

Jack