1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New photography programme coming

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, May 15, 2021.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Me too, I've decided that making me a coffee is more important. (And in my line of experience, answering the question was a "good thing"...)

peterba likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The article says it isn’t a last man/woman/dunno standing battle,

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A good reason for not making it illegal.

4. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I’m going to watch it this morning

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

And... I forgot to watch it! I'll probably catch up with it on iplayer later tonight but I have to be honest I'm already thinking that I don't particularly want to see another competition programme. I'd much prefer a programme about photography with none of the bake off style stuff going on!

Dan S and peterba like this.
  6. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

As someone who visits Brighton frequently and when has almost given up cameras for the iPhone I thought it worth giving a this program a view.

I lasted all of ten minutes.....it was rubbish.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Fen and peterba like this.
  7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Indeed, Kath - in fact, that's what I was trying to say, in my previous post, but you managed to say it rather more elegantly. :)

8. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

It isn't a knockout competition type programme. The challenges set are more to push the people outside of their comfort zones and challenge their photography.

*Can't believe I'm defending a John Rankin programme*

I watched it last night and it seems more of a 'mentoring' series giving people the opportunity to learn and play about with their photography. I'll be watching the rest of the series.

zx9r likes this.
  9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Okay, not the best photo programme, it is a competition after all. However, I thought it better than Sky's Masters of Photography.

Fen and sappymike12 like this.
  10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Personally I thought it was ok. Many of the studio images were pretty good.
    It’s a programme about photography. We are interested in photography. There are very few programmes about photography. I’ll carry on watching it.

sappymike12 likes this.
  11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I made it to the end, it improved considerably after they were allowed to use proper cameras. I can't help thinking the Brighton trip should have been later on, give them a few events shooting as they expected to before throwing the make good shots with crap challenge, especially as that turns away many viewers.

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

What were the crap cameras? Asking for a friend, obviously...

peterba likes this.
  13. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Oh the usual tat, an MF Leica and Zeiss lenses, which were probably for a 'Blad ...

Zou likes this.
  14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I was pleasantly surprised that the GBPC was better than expected last night. Not that I learned anything, but it was reasonable entertainment. and each of the photographers had their own individual characters. However Rankins choice of the skull and the mirror images at the end, were not expected by me, as they were not particularly well done or exploited the possibilities very well at all. However I would not argue with the fashion choice.
    Their trip to Brighton was chastening and a waste of time, as none of them understood what the aim was.

In the studio none of them seemed to have an input into the lighting but simply shot as lit for them.

zx9r, peterba and sappymike12 like this.
  15. PeteRob

Well, I now know how iplayer works. I think I'll watch the next one, which is the opposite feeling that I had for the Sky Arts programme. I thought it was interesting in bits, too much in-between talking. Dragged a bit in places.

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

You've met my wife?

17. PeteRob

No.

18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I thought Rankin was wrong when they went to Brighton and he gave them the subject ‘Beach’, then gave criticism because no one had been to photograph the town. Surely one of the first rules of any competition is to stick to the subject given?

zx9r likes this.
  19. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Personally, I doubt even he had thought the subject through, but he didn't like what he saw so went trawling for an excuse to explain why he said what he did. Came across to me as ' Do as I say, not as I do' sort of comment. A bit weird that first task... should have been named 'At The Seaside' if he wanted more diversity. Think I'd have ended up arguing with the man.

20. PeteRob

He probably didn’t mean to say it, realised that what he’d actually said was contradictory but whoever is running the show decided to keep the scene rather than reshoot.