1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New photography programme coming

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, May 15, 2021.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Thanks for the alert. I'm never sure what to think about Rankin - some years ago I didn't like his work, nor his approach, but I enjoyed his last appearance on TV. Sky Arts, perhaps?

zx9r likes this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

He is perhaps one of my least favourite photographers. I thought the work he did with the NHS staff was dull, dull, dull. However...I also enjoyed his appearance on the Sky Arts programme, and I'm interested to see what he does with this programme which sounds very much like a homegrown version of the former.

zx9r likes this.
  4. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

I've always thought he'll be fine as long as he never works with Jonathan Ross.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Hope someone posts as soon as they hear the dates. Sounds good.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sounds like another knockout affair - using smartphones only.

7. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Rankin... met him several times. Don't like him*. I'll probably watch the first one to see what it's like though.

* Can't go into details on a public forum :)

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

24th may I think

9. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I have not though I suspect if I did I would not like him either. I did enjoy the TV series wher he rerproduced some famous Photos and talked them through.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

only for the first challenge each week according g to the article. I actually think that’s a valid exercise.

ascu75 likes this.
  11. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Saw that, did you not think that each one he reproduced was vastly inferior to the original?

The best part of the programmes were where they talked about the original photographer and the photographs.

We did something similar at Uni on my Foundation Degree and our tutors would've critiqued them to shreds if we had handed in work like that :(

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  12. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Quite possibly - it was a long time ago I saw it.

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Luckily, this just appeared as an ad on a page I was looking at. You can clearly use a phone instead of an expensive camera.

Screenshot 2021-05-16 at 19.15.14.png

Done_rundleCams and ascu75 like this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That bluidy monocular is showing up on every Google results page at the moment!

Done_rundleCams and ascu75 like this.
  15. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I think the best photography programme I saw was the one where David Suchet went out with his grandfather's Leica and revisited some of the subjects - turns out that Suchet is no mug behind the lens himself, and is a genuine enthusiast.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    ascu75, Fen, Geren and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Should this tactical monocular be made illegal lol or The British Privacy Commission is try to ban this :confused::D

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Yes, it should be made illegal, because sooner or later someone in advertising's anus is going to find itself savagely distended by none other than their own monocular!

AndyTake2 likes this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

20. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well, I watched the programme for about five minutes, at which point I gave up on it. Not because of Rankin - just the format.

/rant mode on/ Why the hell does every TV programme have to be a bloody contest? It would be nice simply to watch a programme on a topic of interest, without it having to be a knock-out competition. :mad: /rant mode off/

Dan S and Catriona like this.