1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Photographer

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by PEnglish, Jan 17, 2011.

1. PEnglish

PEnglish New Member

Hello everyone I'm Paul and have had a camera since Christmas Day 2010 (so extremely amateur). Have been browsing the forums and some great tips and awesome, inspiring photos out there. So far I have produced two images I think are 'half-decent' and am wondering what you all think?

Click to view - 233k
    Full image: http://flic.kr/p/9aEbwk

[​IMG]
    Full image: http://flic.kr/p/9aE932

I included the full links as the two images are naturally larger that the upload limits (> 600x600). Any and all critisicm is appreciated.

Moderators Note: Your image has been changed to a link as it exceeds the maximum file size for the AP Forums. The maximum size is 200k, your image is 233k. Please make sure all images are within the limits before posting. Thank you.

2. cat1989

cat1989 Member

i'm new too good luck with the picture taking the top one looks nice to me do you have the second one in colour also

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

The first one is sharp and reasonably exposed but the composition is terrible with way too much bland foreground and the top of the tree being cut off at the top.

second one is a much better shot with an excellent sky with great cloud detail and the composition is also good. The digital effect is a matter of taste though (not to mine personally) but is otherwise an excellent effort i think.

BigWill

4. PEnglish

PEnglish New Member

@ Cat1989, yup the original is here:

[​IMG]
    Full image: http://flic.kr/p/9aZzXX

And I also have:
    Click to view - 237k

Thanks BigWill, learning to compose the shots is certainly something I will be looking into. Will start to look at applying the 'rule of three' to things to get a good balance.

Moderators Note: Your image has been changed to a link as it exceeds the maximum file size for the AP Forums. The maximum size is 200k, your image is 237k. Please make sure all images are within the limits before posting. Thank you.

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Yep, the "rule of thirds" see here: is certainly a good place to start when learning to compose landscape shots. Your second shot clearly benefits from it's application.

BigWill

6. hil26

hil26 Well-Known Member

Hi

#1 = does nothing at all for me, not sure what I am supposed to be looking at.

#2 - nice image, but the post processing is a bit too much for my taste, but for me it is an improvement to the original.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I go along with liking the second, digital work and all. First doesn't deliver whatever you thought it would. There are possibly pics around all that stonework, but you didn't find them.

8. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

the first one is too 'busy' for me. I like the colours in the second one seems less cluttered and 'shouty' :)