1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New phone, new opportunities ?

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by caledonia84, Nov 1, 2014.

1. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

I'd be lying if I said the 20.7 mp camera on the Sony Xperia Z3 didn't help sway my decision to get one. Very mixed results, but, in decent light it really does hold its own. Much better IQ here than that phonebox shot I took the other day, I'm thinking it might make a good street snapper? I have wanted to do some rainy street photography but never had the courage to take the NEX out in the rain, this things waterproof so looking forward to trying it out in that environment.

[​IMG]Sony Z3 by Caledonia84, on Flickr

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Impressive for a phone.

3. caledonia84

It is in this light, i'm confident that with a high enough shutter speed I should get sharp and very usable images. As I said above, looking forward to taking it out in the rain, don't think i'll have to wait too long for that up here in Glasgow!

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Looks good. Try getting those yellow lines closer to bright white for a cliched but powerful effect. Background highlights don't need to be that bright though, pretty much 'as is' works I think.

5. caledonia84

Thanks Zou , will give those lines a tweak when I get home tomorrow :)

6. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

I'm impressed with the quality. It's better than an old compact of mine!

7. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Liked this when I saw it on Flickr, impressive range. Flickr sure liked it too, crazy views.
    Coincidently my girlfriends new phone arrived yesterday.......a Z3. I'd never taken any interest in mobile phones until then. :)

8. caledonia84

Yes, tested it against some old compacts and outperforms them in good light :)

I still can't get my head round flickrs explore system every now and again a picture just gets crazy activity! My girlfriend was impressed with my Z3 so ordered the z3 compact for herself, she loves it.

9. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Great quality on that shot.

Flcikr explore is the 500 most interesting shots posted that day.

10. caledonia84

Thanks Alf, I had a rough idea that's what it was but have no idea how they choose :)

11. Helander

Yeah, we know what Explore is, :) It's how it chooses pictures that's a complete mystery, it seems to be a total random process. But there's the Explore geniuses who make it with every picture they post no matter how good or bad it is. Then the guys who upload works of art and never get a sniff. A total mystery.
    Go look, there are a few good ones (like this) surrounded by loads of old tosh.

Apparently explore works using a top secret algorithm, so secret not even the ones who wrote know what it is.

12. caledonia84

I thought that was Irn Bru?

13. Helander

Irn-Bru would be more predictable.

14. nCognito

nCognito Well-Known Member

Great photo.

I've just started using my phone with Instagram, sometime I prefer those images to ones from my DSLR.:eek:

15. caledonia84

Thanks ncognito, I originally started using instagram as an excercise in square format, actually quite like now.

agreed!