1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pentax csc Ugly?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by rjbell, Jan 25, 2012.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I don't think that fits in with it so called target market.

I think they will have more success in that sector with the Q. :)

2. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Just passing by... perhaps 'une jolie laid' with a smidgen of 'art brut'

I guess that it's me an Zou against Nick :p ;)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, well as a crayon user, you're part of the target youth market. :D

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Ooh ...haven't seen one of them in a (very) long time :eek:,
    crayon that is :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I will respond briefly.

1. Yes, I am being honest with everyone, as I always am. I have no idea what the "party line" is, or whose party you think it is.

2. My true feelings are that I like the K-01, it has a quirky appeal, but more importantly I think it will work as a photographic tool and have a useful place in the line-up. I also think it will bring in lots of younger photographers. By which I mean those under maybe their thirties. My son is a 30 year-old architect and he thinks the design is brilliant.

3. I'm sure you over-estimate my influence, but then maybe not when I look around our camera club and see the relatively high percentage of Pentax Users. We'll have to put it down to the magic that I weave with words, but it's a magic I weave for myself not for Pentax.

4. I think the current market is becoming very exciting, with lots of innovative designs from all manufacturers and a mass of new products heading our way. We will all find the one that suits our own quirky natures.

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Very true. More to the point though is not what will suit OUR quirky nature, but what will suit the worlds emerging markets such as India and China. They are becoming the people with free cash to spend. And we all know how much they like their garish colours..!!

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

think you may have misinterpreted me...not difficult I know!
    I was making the point that some people find the "bulkier" hold it at arms length cameras easier to use than lightweight models. The viewfinder (or lack of one) is an irrelevance in the context of the discussion, it ain't got one apart from the screen at the back...no matter that people may or may not protest.
    Personally I see it as a "sawn off shotgun" of a camera and would really have to look at it in the flesh and give it a try before I say yay or nay.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

OK, fair enough, I'll leave you in peace. ;)

I do very much agree with your point 4, though. :cool:

9. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Nice to have a camera that doesn't look like a reworked T90. Some things take a bit of getting used to - even the T90 looked over-the-top when it first came out.

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Do you mean over-the-top of dead sexy? Then as an Olympus backer, I'd agree with you. I thought the T90 looked incredible. I was deeply envious of Canon. Unfortunately, despite having it demo'd to me twice, I wasn't an incredible enough photographer to have one. I couldn't work the darn thing! :rolleyes:

Now what's that people have been posting about the OM1 having all the right bits, nice'n'easy, in all the right places ..... ? :eek:

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

You are right to think of other markets but ...

If cars are anything to go by, then the wealthy in India and China will be buying Leica M9s, EOS 1DS Mk4s and Nikon D3s/D3Xs. Plus jewel-encrusted diddy-jobs.

The folk at the other end of the market will go for a phone first and will marvel at the capabilities of their cameras. Or their 'phones.

12. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I was reading the term 'ugly' in the widest sense not just visual. :)

I don't mind arms length photography I use it sometimes. But there are certain kinds of photography that work better with a viewfinder of some nature upto the eye.

Even with IS you get a more stable with the camera to the eye IMHO. Again tried both for myself to see.

And I think given it supports legacy lenses some of which might be high focal length. The new buyer will find that too down the line. That is why Nikon has the V1. In fact over time as EVF come down and become lighter and more compact. The seperate body types will I supect die out. In other words all CSC etc will have EVFs by default.