1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New Pentax csc Ugly?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by rjbell, Jan 25, 2012.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It's the performace and handing that put me off CSCs in general! About the only reason I have to want one is for toy value so yes, it has to look appealing.

What's this one got?....a sensor out a DSLR and is big enough to put DSLR lenses on it. Sounds a bit like a DSLR without the good bits to me:confused:

Pentax now make the CSC I'd like the least as well as the one I'd like the most....not bad going considering they've only done two:D

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

When you really think about, who going to buy this?

If you have Pentax lenses already then you probably have a dSLR body. So you would upgrade to another dSLR body.

If you looking for a CSC it is quite bulky so really it is not a CSC.

It is not a lower cost/full electronic solution to a dSLR because it does not have a EVF.

Then on top of that it's ugly.

:confused: :confused:

I must be missing something. Does Mr Newson have that much street cred?

Mind you it does not have his name on it :rolleyes:

3. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I don't see he NEX being ugly. It's just boring looking. It's taken its styling (or lack of) from he countless compacts on the market. This is way uglier.

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I suspect if the name 'PENTAX' read 'Canon' many of the negative comments would be positive :rolleyes:

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, actually I think quite the reverse; I'm sure it's only Pentax owners who can't bring themselves to tell the truth about this one, given the pattern of this thread. Get real, it's horrible.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

People like me would buy it. The K-5 is a great camera but has far too many 'features' which I would never use. The concept of a stripped down K-5 for less money (not much difference at launch, but as previously mentioned I see the price dropping quickly and the K-5 being replaced - ie street price for new model around £1000 again) quite attractive on its own. If this happens I would seriously consider getting a K-5 or a K-01. Ultimately the handling will be critical, and I need to know how well the K-01 focuses with lenses designed for PDAF. I cannot see any serious flaw in the K-01's spec to stop me from considering it as my next camera. When I first saw it my heart slumped, but having now seen it from just about every angle I am much more taken with the styling. As previously mentioned I love my toy cameras and for me a DSLR/CSC is just as much a toy as my Holga. So why not have fun with it?

Other reasons to buy...

1. Better video capability
    2. Smaller and lighter than a DSLR. A lot of users want the IQ without the extra weight, and even if they did buy a DSLR would not often use the optical finder. I see people in Edinburgh all the time using the LCD to shoot on fairly high end models, not just entry stuff.
    3. Some people (you'll be surprised to hear) absolutely love the new styling.*
    4. Manual focusing can be tricky even using the OVF on the latest DSLRs. The large clear LCD (reports from Singapore where the local Pentax club had a day with the K-01 on launch are that it is a great screen to use) with the focus peaking mode may be a great addition to users who like to focus manually.
    5. They might already have a K-5 and want a backup which also offers other strengths but no decline in IQ.
    6. They may not want the attention that a DSLR attracts. Someone with a funny looking yellow camera will not be judged the same as someone with a big black DSLR.
    7. You can stand it on any side of the body. :) click! - Ok, maybe not a deal breaker exactly...
    8. Despite its chunky looks it really is significantly smaller than a K-5

* Personally I really like the yellow as an "anti-DSLR" statement. As I have previously said I like the coloured Pentax releases as they allow the user to stamp a bit of their identity/personality on their camera choice. A big black DSLR is (to me) a vulgar object with no style aside from its function. I take pictures for fun, so I want a 'fun' camera. I'm glad that there will now be one more style choice available, but I'm hoping for a white body with a bright blue rubber grip. :cool:

7. TwoFace

TwoFace Well-Known Member

I looks like it was chiseled out of a block of wood by elves.
    Although it has great specs, the lack of a viewfinder and it's bulk automatically disqualifies it from the pro type street shooters out there (NEX 7, Fuji pro-1, Leica).
    Maybe it will be popular with fat girls as a fashion accessory.
    :p

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Oh come on, it's miles better than this monstrosity:

[​IMG]

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I agree that's ugly, but it's massively less ugly than this new monstrosity.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Rarely have I seen a new camera stir so many emotions. Interesting....

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

An interesting point made on another Pentax forum is that whilst for Nikon (for example) there is a desire not to cannibalise DSLR sales and thus something very different is born, in this instance the mirrorless range feeds right in to the DSLR range. You can start with the K-01 and then progress to a DSLR if that is your wish - you already have the lens(es).

If intentional (this is Pentax/Ricoh we're talking about after all) that is quite a clever way of looking at it. They don't have the resources for another lens mount and lens line-up so have killed two birds with one (somewhat less than shapely?) stone.

13. TwoFace

TwoFace Well-Known Member

I think it's because Pentax has become a bit of an oddity in recent times.
    They are capable of making what many think is the best APS-C out there like the K-5 and then come out with some weird loosing designs like the matchbox sized Q or this latest whatchamacallit.
    It's like they got possessed :eek:

14. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Yes, but at least it is something you might want to hold and be seen with. :D

One area I think is a problem with Mark's design is the hand grip is not deep enough.

I've just been out today shooting in low temp snow condition. (shot in Appraisal by the way)

One thing that works for me is a deep grip which means I can feel safe with thick gloves on.

Good solid control again works with gloves.

I just wonder how many camera designers really do look into all round shooting and know what APs get upto.

Some CSCs seem to miss these issues. :(

15. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

How did i know dangie's comment would be the one to prompt a response from Mick...

It's true, whatever you say! You'd be gushing if it was a Canon, and you know it.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Accurate as ever, Jery. :p

Funny how you emerge from your little hole any time there's a cheap bit of fanboyism to indulge in. :rolleyes:

I've more Pentax systems than Canon ones, and if I could afford it, I would buy a couple more - a Q (now the pricing is more sensible) and a 645D, although if I went down the latter path, I would probably unload my 67 kit. I like Pentax, in my heart more so than Canon, as it was a brand dear to me at an impressionable age - but whatever label is on this camera, it's horrible. I would say the same if it were a Canon or indeed anything; I suspect I would actually be ruder about it if it were a Canon, in reality. I've certainly been rude enough about the G series over the years, not because they're particularly ugly, but because I can't see how they can be called compacts, or what practical advantage they have over either a real, small, compact or a slightly larger DSLR - give me a Q any day of the week.
    In fact I think you'll find that were it a Canon, Nikon or Sony, fans of all those marques would tell it as it is. It's only Pentax and Olympus owners that have seen fit to try to justify everything their manufacturer makes over recent years, and Olympus owners have pretty much stopped doing that now they no longer need to. It's always a sign of people who feel insecure in their own choice of marque that they feel they have to defend even the indefensible; the truth is that Pentax make some really excellent cameras at the moment in an interesting range, and they just don't need this fanboy attitude. I've no doubt at all that this camera will work really well, and I agree with what Zou says about the integration with the DSLR range - it's very sensible. I also agree with Zou about all the plus points it's got. This will doubtless be an excellent photo taking machine, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's ghastly to look at IMVHO. To be fair, I'm not meaning to tar all Pentax owners with the same brush - I know that those who have previously posted in this thread are genuine, and nice people with it.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Never in a million years! It epitomises all that I hate about SLRs.

As for the fanboy comments - I admit that if this were not a Pentax I wouldn't be as interested. Not because of the looks though - but because I have four native lenses which would be fully supported, whereas if I went with the G3/OM-D I'd need adaptors and lose the full lens functionality, not to mention the increased crop factor making the lenses less useful.

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Somehow I doubt they were aimed at you. Real Pentax fanboys are in a league of their own these days and I'm afraid you just don't measure up:D

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm not too proud (or blind) to admit a touch of fanboyism. Just don't get me started on my Holga or Zero 45 though, or I'll bore you to death. ;)

20. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

The only thing that makes this camera slightly smaller than say a d3100 is the lack of a viewfinder which is the main thing after its ugliness that will stop a lot of people from buying it. So what is the point?