1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

New Pentax csc Ugly?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by rjbell, Jan 25, 2012.

1. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

Bright blue would make it look even more like a plumbing part, or even a bottle of bleach or something:D

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hmm, that could explain the clean high-ISO images. Ho-hum. ;)

3. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

It looks better in yellow than black. Am I warming to it?

4. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Yellow and black for me too!

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: New Pentax csc Ugly? I ain't sayin' nuffink about K-01 --

because last time I did ( the Q ) I am still pulling my foot from my
    mouth :eek:
    Cheers,
    Jack

6. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I think it is the "tube" under the top-plate dial that kills it for me - surely the designer could have improved on that!

Having said that, let's wait until we see how it performs before we slate it too much. After all, it is something different to the usual plastic-looking boxes we have become used to.

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

The technology and idea is ok IMHO except missing a EVF.

But sorry if this upsets Pentax owners but it has a toy camera look or Kodak Instamatic look.

Look so boxey or square-ish. Bad retro to me or disposable camera look. :(

Maybe Pentax should ask Mark Newson for their money back. :D

By the way I have used Pentax in my film days found it quite a good camera.

I think it could look better.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It'd go nicely with my Holga or Box Brownie. :) Not sure how much they paid Newson, but at least they have a scapegoat for all the angry Pentaxians who hate it! ;)

9. P_Stoddart

I wonder if Mr Newson has seen a camera before TBH. :D

It remind me of my Dad's Bakelite 120 roll film camera from the 1950s, which I still have. :)

10. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I's no OMD is it?

[​IMG]

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Indeed. Although I find it quite worrying that a classically designed camera is bundled with a slow powerzoom lens. Just doesn't seem right...

12. P_Stoddart

Now that looks like camera! :cool:

Suppose to have the GX1 sensor onboard from panny. :D

13. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

Yeah i know what you mean. Surely there will be a prime lens package too.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

"Ugly" just isn't the word for this camera. "Disgusting" fits the bill so much better. A real shame, because it should be great under the skin, just a crying shame Pentax have outdone the dreadful Nex range for looking silly.

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, it looks a bit like a fat man with a wee willy:eek::eek::eek:

16. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Strangely enough, I think I could get to quite like the look of the K-01. I think it looks better than the NEX, and the bulkiness is in part down to being able to use K mount lenses without an adapter. But I won't be getting one because there's no viewfinder.

I hope that Pentax will be coming up with a new DSLR sometime - something like a K-5 with an articulated screen and focus peaking, and perhaps auto hyperfocal focussing? :)

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I expect a K-5 replacement will be announced within the next six months, possibly even three. I see the K-01 as a possible replacement for the K-r at the accessible end, with the K-5 staying in the lineup as a mid range with a new model sitting above it.

18. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Actually, I've just found this news item from last week. I think it's quite likely that we'll see an announcement of a new Pentax DSLR at the Japanese camera show next week.

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Considering most of us probably like to think of ourselves as 'Photographers', isn't the performance and handling of the camera more important than the looks? Or do we still crave for 'posing points'?

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes they are, but I would be ashamed to use such a vile thing, and just wouldn't be able to use it in public. There's a line, and this is way over it. Pentax have spent far too much time recently concentrating on the fashion markets with silly colours and now this - they're perfectly capable of making great cameras, they don't need silly gimmicks.