1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Olympus convert

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Barney, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It's disappointing to see such a lack of activity on the Olympus board, especially giving the fact that Olympus are producing some fantastic cameras at the moment.

I've recently bought an E-M5II with 40/1.8 and today picked up the 15/8 body cap lens for street photography and general fun. It's early days but the image quality I'm getting from the E-M5II is fantastic and it's making a convincing argument for retiring my Nikon kit for all bar my professional shoots, which in turn has led me to consider ditching 35mm completely and buying a Pentax 645Z.

I'll post again soon with impressions of the 15/8 and the E-M5II in general.

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Their older kit isn't so bad, either.

I started with the original E-PM1 but gave up on that, because you couldn't fit an electronic viewfinder and the VF-1 with the 17mm was less effective than I wished. Then I aquired an E-PM1, an E-PL1 and, just before toddling off to Austria, an E-PL5.

Great little cameras...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  3. Littleted

Littleted Member

hi Barney, the Forums in talkphotography.co.uk and DPreview are alive and well.
    good choice on the camera it's what I've got, the new firmware due November is like a new camera so looking forward to that.

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I was an early adopter of MFT with a Panasonic GF1. It was a great camera only let down by the awkward AF point selection but it's showing it's age now with poor medium-high ISO performance. I've also recently got a GH4, though that's primarily for video work.
    I wa

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I do wander over to TP every so often but I just can't do with DPR's forum software/layout.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

How have you got to grips with the body cap lens? I presume as it's F8 you have to set that on the camera first on AP mode? Does the focus work OK (I appreciate it has just 3 settings and not AF)?

I have just ordered the 9mm as it happens.

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I've only had a play with it really. It's a fixed aperture so you don't set anything on the body. It has two focus settings 30cm and infinity and it seems to work fine. I've taken some pics just to test out the quality of the lens itself and judging from the screen it's a big thumbs up.

My iMac's currently with Apple getting a new hard drive so when I've got it back and up and running again I'll be able to download the pics I've taken so far and post some.

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Cheers Barney.

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Well, Barney, your conversion will more than help offset MadDog's defection to Fuji! ;) :D [AP w/s Home Page, last week or three.]

IIRC, the f8 lens does not have a good reputation but, you never know, perhaps the tolerances on your one are all working well together. Hope you will be very happy together. Cheers, Oly

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It's all about horses for courses. The Bodycap lens is not a lens for critical shots but it is a lens for having a bit of fun with. It was this video that persuaded me to drop the princely sum of £60 on one.

[video=youtube_share;omt-HKc3pag]https://youtu.be/omt-HKc3pag[/video]

11. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Interesting video review there, though not quite enough to persuade me.

On the other hand, if I saw one S/H for say, £25, I'd be tempted.

:)